Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances, Cornell Myth-busting, the New York Connection, and FAQs

18910111214»

Replies to: Chances, Cornell Myth-busting, the New York Connection, and FAQs

• cd2015cd2015 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    @roboticsnerd33 , if you are looking for hedge fund, I think they need quants - that is math - not stats or CS. I am not sure what IB prefers but heard Finance, ECON and some other unrelated majors. I do recall a separate thread on specifically this topic in this forum somewhere. You may want to refer to that.
  • morrismmmorrismm Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
    D, a 2010 grad, is now a vice-president at a financial firm. She has done extremely well because she has performed extremely well. Her major was ILR and minor of IT ( basically computer science)

Her GPA was high, 3.9 or higher, and she had diversified extracurriculars. She also held 3 jobs as a student. She is definitely a ++type A personality. She loves to travel and has been traveling the world including hilking, packpacking and skiing including Peru, Iceland, Asia, Switzerland, and the USA. She has parachuted out of a plane twice and air glided off of the Alps.

If you think you have this kind of personality, then by all means persue ( If you have the grades). Because that is what they want.
  • jfx246jfx246 Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    @roboticsnerd33 A lot of the pre-business students here major in AEM (Applied Economics and Management) along with minors in CS/Stats/Math. However, the new business school here will probably create majors better suited to your career goals.

Also, Cornell has a ton of business clubs and fraternities. Finance club, hedge fund, consulting club, Alpha Kappa Psi, just to name a few. Just a fair word of caution though: many of these clubs/frats have cutthroat atmospheres and getting into them is probably harder than getting into Cornell itself (applications, 2 rounds of interviews, social rounds, presentations, <5% acceptance rates, etc.).
  • lichte94lichte94 Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    @roboticsnerd33 There are definitely a lot of majors you can apply to in order to get into IB or working for a hedge fund. It really depends on what kind of general curriculum you want, as each program has different requirements. If you are interested in the heavy quantitative analysis and instruction in the sciences that you will get from the College of Engineering, do ORIE as that major has a curriculum geared towards prepping people for business. If you want more of a broad liberal arts education in Arts and Sciences, it may be beneficial to do Economics with a minor in Math or Statistics. If you want a very focused business program where you can really dig in to classes specifically for IB like Derivatives & Risk/Portfolio Management/Business Statistics, then the AEM major in CALS may be for you. But as far as job opportunities, people from all these programs have the potential to go into IB.

It is also important to note that the university-wide business minor is an option even if you do not major in AEM, and that there are many preprofessional organizations you can join that will teach you more about this. Membership in these clubs is not necessary to secure one of these jobs, but can help with interview/case prep and industry knowledge/connections.
  • cd2015cd2015 Registered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    From what I have heard about cornell biz/finance clubs, the competition to get in is very tough but once you are in - it is not cutthroat. It is very congenial.
  • TiggyB62TiggyB62 Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    ^True
  • roboticsnerd33roboticsnerd33 Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Now that my junior year has just ended, I've had A LOT of time to think about what I really want to do. I'm essentially leaning towards an engineering degree (ORIE comes to mind), but also potentially CS with a minor in Business.

The College of Engineering is a lot tougher for me to get into, though, as an asian male, and it doesn't help that my stats aren't out-of-the-park excellent. I'm basically just banking on my extra-curriculars. We'll see how it goes.
  • AspiringScho1arAspiringScho1ar Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    I read that CALS, like other public universities, are required to have over 70% of their students in-state. Would this make CALS harder to get into than Arts and Science if I'm applying out of state?
  • karenlovelykarenlovely Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
  • BeyondhopeBeyondhope Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    I am actually wondering for RD if put on waitlist and a spot doesn't open, does Cornell offer you a guaranteed transfer option for the following year. If not it doesn't really make any sense to me, in theory if a spot opens up and if you are on waitlist it means you are qualified and ready to start immediately (basically means there wasn't enough space but if there was they would have admitted you)...the GT decisions that students have received instead of being put on waitlist, implies Cornell wants a years worth of college grades completed before you can be admitted..so if a waitlist doesn't create a spot, why would those students not get the GT option....this is hard to explain, but does anyone know?
  • TiggyB62TiggyB62 Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    @Beyondhope to answer your question, "for RD if put on waitlist and a spot doesn't open, does Cornell offer you a guaranteed transfer option for the following year" : No.

IMO, it's just all a numbers game. Not many at all get off the wait list and some students feel GT is just another cumbersome process they have to go through, not to mention having to attend another college or university for a year, assimilating to that college, and then having to begin anew again. So I don't know how many actually take the GT option. I think there is a thread on CC for the GT. You should check it out.
18910111214»
This discussion has been closed.