Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Hospitality School

Jack292929Jack292929 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I am in High School, and want to go to a hospitality school. I am raised in a wealthy family so I feel relaxed when it comes to future salaries and tuition. I am wondering if EHL and Cornell Hotel School, are hard to get into. I so far have great grades and on track on having a competitive application. I am wondering what else i need to do besides school, such as working at a nearby hotel. I heard that to get in to a hospitality school I need experience. But where I live, it is hard to get a job at a hotel if your under 18. Many of my friends work at the local country club, but I can't because I belong.

I also am wondering if it is worth going into hospitality? . I don't want to have a low paying job. Also I feel like anyone can go into hospitality . By strengths are math and science and the hospitality industry would not use my skills to the fullest extent. My biggest fear is going into college thinking that it is easier than High School . I want college to feel hard and rigorous to some extent, I feel like if I went into hospitality I would not feel challenged.

Courses I (MIGHT) be taking in Junior Year :
AP Japanese 5 (Don't love the course at all)
AP Biology (Don't like as much as chemistry but mostly its just remembering)
AP Calculus BC (Like math but sometimes can be very annoying and time consuming)
AP US HISTORY (Love History, lots of reading )
English 11 (no honors or AP) (Not very good at english, often use spark notes)
French 2 (Like more than Japanese)
Free Period (In lieu of PE)

^*French 2 and AP Japanese and English will be the only beneficial in the Hospitality industry*^

Should I change my courses if I am really into the hospitality industry. I don't want to kill myself with work next year. Work which will barely help me in the future.

Replies to: Cornell Hospitality School

• Jack292929Jack292929 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Lots of typos.... sorry
  • monnommonnom Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi Jack, how did you end up on Hospitality in your search for a degree? You must have chosen it for a reason. It seems to me that you are looking for a reason not to do it because you are not sure.

You both can afford any degree anywhere as well as able with your grades to pursue more science based degrees. Is that something you would prefer to do?

You have to have the right motivation behind your degree choice, even if you can change it later.