right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chances for Cornell Engineering ED?

wannabeacoolkidwannabeacoolkid 25 replies13 postsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello everyone! I'm a rising senior interested in applying to Cornell ED next year. I plan on applying to Cornell Engineering as a CS major! Interested in knowing my chances?

Background:
-Asian female from TX
-My dad got his PhD and Master's from Cornell, but idk if graduate degrees count as legacy haha
-School type: Currently attend a STEM boarding school that's relatively well respected around the nation for 11th and 12th grade; before, I went to a competitive public school

Stats:
-SAT: 1520 (800 M, 720 V) - is this bad for Engineering?
-SAT II: taking math 2 and chemistry subject tests in August
-Unweighted GPA: 4.0/4.0
-Weighted GPA (from 9th and 10th grade): 5.6/6.0
-Class Rank: Current school does not rank, but before I was in the top 1% of my class (4/414)

Notable Coursework:
9th: AP Human Geography (5)
10th: AP World History (5), AP Chinese (5), AP Computer Science A (5), AP Physics 1 (4 yikes lol)
11th and 12th: School does not offer AP classes; instead, all of my classes are taken at a state university

Major Awards and Accomplishments:
-DECA International Top 10 Finalist and Exam Score
-NCWIT Aspirations in Computing National Honorable Mention and Regional Winner
-NCWIT AspireIT Grant Recipient (received a $3000 grant to hold a programming camp for girls in my area)
-2x 1st Place Texas DECA, 1x State Finalist
-Selected for a competitive summer research program, awarded a research scholarship from my school
-AP Scholar with Distinction, school-wide academic honors
-All-Region Orchestra Member

Extracurriculars:
Poverty Alleviation - I am the Director of Business for a successful, student-run poverty alleviation non-profit. We have gathered over 15,000 donations in the years that I have been involved, fundraised $500+ in profit, and have implemented successful community improvement projects.
CS Outreach - I started my own nonprofit and hosted 4 coding camps for middle school girls in rural and metropolitan areas of Texas; I also volunteered for a Girls Engineering Club in a rural Texas elementary school as a teaching assistant/mentor
CS Research - Conducted machine learning and VR/AR research; No published papers as of now, but I have been invited to poster presentations at a local university?
Other STEM research - Through a summer program, I was able to conduct materials science research w/ energy harvesting at a well-known research university in my area. At the end of the summer, I presented at a symposium.
DECA - participated and competed from the regional to international level in the business club from 9th grade to now, provide mentorship to new competitors and provide resources at my school
Volunteering - I volunteered as an ESL tutor for elementary. In 9th and 10th grade, I also volunteered pretty heavily at a senior center and started/taught basic technology skills classes there.
Work experience - I worked at Kumon for around three months. Eventually, I had to quit since I went to a boarding school, and my summer was too busy. After, I tutored English to students abroad through an app.
Just for fun - Received a scholarship to attend an all-girls coding camp for two summers; was also able to learn Android app development on Udacity through a scholarship
0 replies
· Reply · Share