right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How much does being a legacy affect admission to Cornell?

lucycatxlucycatx 12 replies4 threads Junior Member
edited July 13 in Cornell University
Hi! I'll just keep this brief! I'm a Cornell legacy and I was wondering if that would help at all for RD. I'm a rising junior so I don't have SAT scores yet, but I take a handful of honors and AP classes. I was just wondering if being a legacy increased my chances of getting admitted, since its a very tough school (obviously)
edited July 13
6 replies
Post edited by ccadminkris on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How much does being a legacy affect admission to Cornell?

• kidodiekidodie 58 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Being a legacy usually is considered only if you apply ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10405 replies123 threads Senior Member
    The legacy bump only helps in ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83820 replies743 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2019
    https://cornellsun.com/2018/11/06/a-look-inside-how-cornell-accepts-its-students/ mentions the effect of legacy in somewhat vague terms, but suggests that the legacy preference is stronger for those who apply ED (but not necessarily non-existent for those who apply RD).
    For legacy students — who bear a controversial identity in admissions — the admissions process is the same although they are given “some preference … with all other things equal,” Locke said.

Every year, around 2,000 legacy students apply to Cornell, according to Locke. Most of them are rejected, he said, and a large portion of those admitted are selected through Early Decision, which he described as the result of a mutual commitment relationship.

“We can’t take most of [the legacy applicants], so what’s been communicated to the legacy students is that, if you really want us to show some commitment to you as a legacy candidate, we want you to show some commitment to Cornell, which means applying Early Decision,” he said.
    edited August 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Golfhacker145Golfhacker145 1 replies3 threads New Member
    My daughter is a 2020 legacy and would put Cornell number one on her list of schools. But, reality is reality, and we unfortunately can not sign on to a binding ED contract for which we do not know the exact direct financial obligations that we would incur. Financial calculators are helpful, and if true, it still would leave us with a substantial obligation. It is unfortunate that Cornell would value legacy only in an ED situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 19287 replies15859 threads Super Moderator
    ... we unfortunately can not sign on to a binding ED contract for which we do not know the exact direct financial obligations that we would incur. ...
    It's an agreement, not a contract, and there is no obligation if you are requesting financial aid.

"Should a student who applies for financial aid not be offered an award that makes attendance possible, the student may decline the offer of admission and be released from the Early Decision commitment."

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/applications/ethics
    · Reply · Share
  • dedex13dedex13 57 replies16 threads Junior Member
    My daughter was accepted RD in 2016. Did the legacy status help? We don't know but it surely didn't hurt.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity