right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How much does being a legacy affect admission to Cornell?

lucycatxlucycatx 11 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
Hi! I'll just keep this brief! I'm a Cornell legacy and I was wondering if that would help at all for RD. I'm a rising junior so I don't have SAT scores yet, but I take a handful of honors and AP classes. I was just wondering if being a legacy increased my chances of getting admitted, since its a very tough school (obviously)
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How much does being a legacy affect admission to Cornell?

• kidodiekidodie 58 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Being a legacy usually is considered only if you apply ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6657 replies42 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The legacy bump only helps in ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77170 replies672 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 12
    https://cornellsun.com/2018/11/06/a-look-inside-how-cornell-accepts-its-students/ mentions the effect of legacy in somewhat vague terms, but suggests that the legacy preference is stronger for those who apply ED (but not necessarily non-existent for those who apply RD).
    For legacy students — who bear a controversial identity in admissions — the admissions process is the same although they are given “some preference … with all other things equal,” Locke said.

Every year, around 2,000 legacy students apply to Cornell, according to Locke. Most of them are rejected, he said, and a large portion of those admitted are selected through Early Decision, which he described as the result of a mutual commitment relationship.

“We can’t take most of [the legacy applicants], so what’s been communicated to the legacy students is that, if you really want us to show some commitment to you as a legacy candidate, we want you to show some commitment to Cornell, which means applying Early Decision,” he said.
    edited August 12
    · Reply · Share