right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

chance asian female for cornell uni

cello170cello170 27 replies2 threads Junior Member
-cornell typically takes 15-20 kids from my school -- competitive public school in the east coast. i'm trying to eventually go to pharm school. i'm a rising junior

-gpa: 4.0 UW, ~4.8 W no class rank but i think i'm around top 20 in a class of 500

-courseload [aps start junior year for most] :

all honors 9th and 10th grade
(11th grade) ap calc bc, ap chem, ap lang, ap physics 1+2[self studied], ap bio
(12th grade) ap physics c em and ap physics c m, multivariable calculus, apush, ap lit, maybe ap micro

-sat/act: 1550 sat, 35 ACT, 800 math subject test

-ecs:
1. cello- definitely top in the state (not naming which one bc don't want to be doxxed)
- got accepted into curtis summerfest in the past which takes around 10-12 cellists from a lot of applicants worldwide.
- allstates 3x (pretty high seats)
-2 really big city youth orchestras in my area (different states but good reputations)
-school section leader 4x
-some competitions
-volunteering work for a pretty big adult-led npo.
will be submitting arts supplement

2. hospital volunteering- did since my soph year at a local hospital 4 hrs/week. i actually really liked this so you should try it out if you like it!

3. researching- worked with a local prof on some stuff and i'm planning on submitting to science fairs and hopefully qualify for something larger

4. swimming- quit club swimming but i've been a member of my school's varsity swim team since my freshman year. nothing too special here but swimming took up so much of my time during the winter

5. teacher's assistant/lab aide- idk if this counts but my junior year i was a lab aide for one of my stem teachers during my study halls. i want her to write my rec but this was also something that i took out of my normal day to do.

6. i tried starting a medforum club at my school but they're waiting on club approvals right now. we'll see though

7. tried out for columbia shp recently and results come in 17 days--> i'll keep this post updated.

don't be afraid to be really stark and harsh- i need it. thanks

3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: chance asian female for cornell uni

• monydadmonydad 8047 replies161 threads Senior Member

I myself am not qualified to "chance" anybody, for the most part, but
    given that
    "-cornell typically takes 15-20 kids from my school -- competitive public school in the east coast. "

I would hope that the guidance department at your school should be in a very good position to chance you.

Also FWIW Cornell does not have a pharmacy program. There are other schools that can direct-admit you into their pharmacy program. If it still works that way. SUNY Albany? St. Johns? Things in that field may well have changed though since I paid any attention, I recall that they require a Doctor of Pharmacy degree to practice now, not a Bachelors.

· Reply · Share
  • cello170cello170 27 replies2 threads Junior Member
    thank you for the comment! i know cornell doesn't have a pharm program but i was thinking maybe a pre-pharm track. those schools sound great though so i'll check it out
    · Reply · Share
  • theangrybirdtheangrybird 5 replies0 threads New Member
    im in no position to chance you, but i was thinking about heading in the same path as you (pharm school)!! i was thinking - is it best to get into a pharmacy program right out of high school, or can you major in biology and then go into a school geared towards pharmacy graduates?
    · Reply · Share