Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why AEM/Hotel considered easy by some?

BigRed123BigRed123 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
edited February 2008 in Cornell University
I have heard some people refer to the Applied Economics and Management(AEM) program and the Hotel School as easy. Are these people just misinformed? I looked through some of the curriculum for interesting classes and they all have a good amount of finance and complicated classes that seem challenging and could be competitive, so why the label?
Post edited by BigRed123 on

Replies to: Why AEM/Hotel considered easy by some?

• ajp87ajp87 Registered User Posts: 403 Member
    because stressed out science and engineering majors are idiots and they like to put down programs that may not be as demanding as theirs. thats all it really comes down to. AEM and Hotel are 100% legit and will land you a much higher paying job after college.
  • asdfjkl1asdfjkl1 Registered User Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    Because they don't have the nerve to apply? I mean, it's easy to judge something you have no knowledge of.
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    It's all relative.
  • hpmbshpmbs Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    I mean, it tends to be the science majors/premeds/engineers that call hotel/AEM easy. And yea..hotel/AEM are easier in the sense that theres no advanced chem/physics/whatever but they're still good majors.

Consider yourself lucky bc I'm in so many classes w/premeds and alllll they do is complain. constantly. lol. (im a bio major).
  • AppleMuncherAppleMuncher - Posts: 24 New Member
    I have heard some people refer to the Applied Economics and Management(AEM) program and the Hotel School as easy. Are these people just misinformed? I looked through some of the curriculum for interesting classes and they all have a good amount of finance and complicated classes that seem challenging and could be competitive, so why the label?

It gets that label because its true.
  • yousonofatreeyousonofatree Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    like norcalguy said, it's all relative. It's sort of like (but not to the extreme of) comparing english to math. To some, english is easier, and to others math is easier.
  • PuzzleChampionPuzzleChampion Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    bull shizz ILR is easier than either of those two major...and ILRies admit to it
  • Stringa1234Stringa1234 Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    and ILR'ies get paid more than everybody outside of engineers.
  • ILRGT2O1OILRGT2O1O Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Because some find it easy.

Simple.
  • SachmoneySachmoney Registered User Posts: 1,254 Senior Member
    Could this be because pre-meds and engineers are more stressed out about grades?
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    Premeds and engineers whine about hotelies and AEM majors for the same reason Cornellians whine about students at "easier" colleges: They want to make themselves feel better about their terrible grades.
  • mrsopresidentmrsopresident Registered User Posts: 388 Member
    "bull shizz ILR is easier than either of those two major...and ILRies admit to it"

funny, and i've heard ILRies say this to, but in all honesty you should ask yourself how these ILRies could really know this?
  • BigRed123BigRed123 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    what ILR is known for, I Love Reading, depends I guess on the person with all that info to process and reading to take care of
  • Stringa1234Stringa1234 Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    Reading, personally, is much more pleasurable than doing math problems.
  • SachmoneySachmoney Registered User Posts: 1,254 Senior Member
    That's definitely a personal preference.
This discussion has been closed.