Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is Cornell admission different for each college?

ColumbiaLoverColumbiaLover Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
edited January 2008 in Cornell University
b/c the accept/deffered/rejected stats seem ramdom
i see many who's great applicants but would not even get deffered

so im wodering if
Cornell look at students in each college and compare those who applied to same college

so like person w/ lower stats would get accepted b/c she/he's best among that specific college applicants
while other person with higher stats would be rejected cuz that one had worst stats among the other specific college applicants

humm do i make sense to u guys?? im just curious
Post edited by ColumbiaLover on

Replies to: is Cornell admission different for each college?

• yousonofatreeyousonofatree Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    Each college within Cornell has their own admissions office, so yes, they do compare you only with people who apply to the same college as you. There is one admissions PROCESSING center, but thats just where apps get sorted, not evaluated.
  • dewdrop87dewdrop87 Registered User Posts: 3,397 Senior Member
    ^ what he said
  • Stringa1234Stringa1234 Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    can anybody rank the colleges by admissions percentages?
  • asdfjkl1asdfjkl1 Registered User Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    So yousonofatree, if others from your school applied to another schools within Cornell, you'd still be the only one on record applying to a specific school? Just curious.
  • yousonofatreeyousonofatree Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    Not too sure, but they wouldn't be able to compare you with your classmates who applied to other schools, since the offices are separate.

Even if you were the only one from your school to apply to that specific college, I don't think it would make a big difference in your app.
  • gomestargomestar Registered User Posts: 4,699 Senior Member
    it takes a quick call to compare classmates none the less.
  • cornell75cornell75 Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    And each of the colleges may in fact be looking at different aspects of the individual so while high test scores and GPA may be a common factor for all, there are differences in what each college may consider important in a student's application.

There would be no need for a college to compare their applicants from a specific school with another college's applicants from the same high school. Each is trying to admit students to their specific college and wouldn't care how they might stack up with another college's applicants.
  • asdfjkl1asdfjkl1 Registered User Posts: 1,950 Senior Member
    I basically had the answer but I just wanted to check. In other schools that I applied at, I'm not the only one applying actually people who I know well--who have similar scores/classes are applying. The whole internal competition for college admissions freaks me out a bit to be honest.

Just wondering, but when do RD ILR admittances go out? It said Mid Feb. But, I was just wondering how accurate that was. I really want to go to Cornell... But if it doesn't work out, I need a nice period of time to drown my sorrow before attempting to move on. lol. So, the earlier, really the better. Though, I don't think my midyear report has been sent out by my school yet.
This discussion has been closed.