Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

resume for hotel school interview

firefly08firefly08 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
edited January 2008 in Cornell University
I am going to have my hotel school interview soon and am working on putting together my resume. Is it appropriate to include information about my gpa, class, rank, test scores, and courses? I know that some colleges don't want the interviewers to ask for these stats.
Post edited by firefly08 on

Replies to: resume for hotel school interview

• afchang23afchang23 Registered User Posts: 344 Member
    put anything necessary in order for you to accurately convey yourself on a piece of paper, but use discretion.

i put gpa, class rank, and RELATED courses...i didnt put in scores.

also, you can impress the interviewer by having a professional-looking resume...make sure everything is in chronological order and try to keep it to one page.

those are my two cents on the subject. hope that helps! good luck on your interview!
  • yousonofatreeyousonofatree Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    In my opinion, the interviewer is evaluating your accomplishments, experience, and passion in the hospitality industry more than your GPA and scores. If there is anything you can put on your resume that demonstrates the three things I listed first, do it.

Be professional and be polite and show your true personality.
  • Dennis173Dennis173 Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    I think it is better that you stick to what you have accomplished outside of the classroom ,when it comes to your resume. The hotel school just wants to know that you are really PASSIONATE about attending their school.
  • SachmoneySachmoney Registered User Posts: 1,254 Senior Member
    Is the resume necessary? Or is it suggested to the point that everyone has one?
    The hotel school website instructions says to bring a resume.
  • TahoeTahoe Registered User Posts: 754 Member
    To the OP:
    With regards to your comment
    I know that some colleges don't want the interviewers to ask for these stats.
    At Cornell, that holds true for alumni "interviews" or contacts, which are not evaluative. Anyway, even though Cornell alum are instructed not to ask about GPA or SAT scores, students are allowed to voluntarily offer that information.

That being said - I am assuming that you are having an on campus interview for Hotel which is evaluative. The on-campus interviewer is an employee of Cornell (as compared to the volunteer alum ambassadors) and will probably already have your stats, but it wouldn't hurt you to include them in your resume.

** Edit: now I'm confused because I just looked back at your old posts and you said you are not going to campus for an interview, and that you don't have hotel interviewers in your area. Where are you having your interview? If it is a local interview, I would include as much info as possible
  • SachmoneySachmoney Registered User Posts: 1,254 Senior Member
    oh. well i guess i'll be ready when i have my interview then.
  • firefly08firefly08 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Tahoe- I don't have hotel interviewers in my area, so I called the admissions office and requested an interview in a neighboring area. I'll be having an off-campus interview, and my interviewer requested that I send him my resume beforehand. Thanks for the replies everybody!
  • akaCondiakaCondi Registered User Posts: 160 Junior Member
    Included on my resume were honors and awards, extracurricular activities, work history, valuable skills, and useful experience. I feel like this last section is really what they are looking for. But, lucky me. My interviewer didn't even look at it.
    akaCondi- did he/she at least take it? My interviewer took it and made a copy for the admissions office.
This discussion has been closed.