Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A rich IDIOT who wants to get into Cornell

2»

Replies to: A rich IDIOT who wants to get into Cornell

• Dennis173Dennis173 Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    I think its different when it is the child of the donator. If you want to get someone mad, mess with their child. It will be the last penny that the university will receive from the donator. Look at it this way, you are the university, keep getting millions and accept the child or reject the child and lose the millions.
  • celsius_233celsius_233 Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    also, consider this scenario:

Pretend 5 people a year buy their way into X school. X school rejects an applicant who donates millions to the school. The 5-would-be donors watch this happen and do not donate. So by not accepting one person, it may have an even larger rippling effect...

haha i dont mean anything, i just wanted to point it out.
  • diehldundiehldun Registered User Posts: 1,499 Senior Member
    In all honesty, $10 million would probably work, not $1 million. In today's world, that's not much, taken in-context.
  • FellowCCViewerFellowCCViewer Registered User Posts: 3,777 Senior Member
    how much is this donation you speak of?
    i agree with diehldun, i think there are (lots) of ppl who would pay a million to guarantee their kids into an ivy league.
  • ilovebagelsilovebagels Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
    Anyone else remember that Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns tried to get his wayward son into Yale and they told him that based on Yale's donation-admission scale, he would have to donate an international airport.

"Yale COULD use an international airport..."
  • Win8282Win8282 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    BTW, I must note that the 1 million + per annum of this kid is just a very rough estimate. His parents are owners of a chain of 4-5 star hotels, so I'm very sure it'd be over 1 mil per annum. I know for a fact his familiy owns multiple houses in the U.S. (about 5 houses in the states alone), and a few others abroad
  • cornell75cornell75 Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    Frankly I wouldn't worry about it. Schools admit students for a wide variety of reasons and yes, donating large amounts of money is one. However, while a large donation might help the kid get in, he/she has to make it on their own once there.
  • glkecon2glkecon2 Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    Having a son in the Hotel School, I hope this kid isn't given a pass just because his family owns a chain of hotels. Unfortunately, I also know how the real world works. Maybe Cornell is just the place this kid SHOULD be....maybe learn a few study skill and how to interact (properly) with people of different socio and economic backgrounds. I guess if the name of Staler Hall changes next year, we will all know who this student is.
2»
This discussion has been closed.