Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Students: Ideas for success at Cornell?

starbound4444starbound4444 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
edited July 2008 in Cornell University
I was wondering if any current or recent Cornell students had any suggestions about adjusting to life at Cornell. Anything you did right the first year? Anything you did wrong? The best teacher is experience, and since I don't have any, I thought I'd ask those of you who have! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Post edited by starbound4444 on

Replies to: Cornell Students: Ideas for success at Cornell?

• dewdrop87dewdrop87 Registered User Posts: 3,397 Senior Member
    1. Manage your time!
    2. Go to class :-)
    3. Don't be afraid to go to office hours
    4. Avoid all-nighters (can be counterproductive)
    5. Stay on top of your work....always!
  • sashimi46sashimi46 Registered User Posts: 482 Member
    prioritize your time with friends and having fun. that's what you'll remember after cornell...not what you've learned
    ^^haha...yeah...forgot to mention that one. Don't turn into a library **** :-)
  • starbound4444starbound4444 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    Do you think it's wise to try and find a compatible roommate before I sign up for a room or just go for a random assignment? or should I try for a single? Do they really match you up with compatible roommates if you go for random assignment? If you think I should try to find a roommate in advance, how would you suggest going about that?

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. They make sense and it's good to hear them!
    That's always a sticky topic. When I got here, even as a transfer...I chose to go with a random assignment and prayed it would work out better than at my old school. And I was right....my roomie turned out to be one..and still is...of my best friends :-)

I honestly don't know how they pick roomies...b/c my roomie and I are complete opposites....USC party chick vs. quiet Upstate NY girl

I forget when the deadline is to submit your deposit/housing request....but I recommend you do it sooner rather than later. I'm not sure how you would go about finding a roommate in advance....maybe someone else has an idea
  • TurtleFeverTurtleFever Registered User Posts: 196 Junior Member
    Yea I was wondering about the roommate situation too because I wanted to know, could they match up people with different majors or even from different colleges?
  • SambagoSambago Registered User Posts: 297 Junior Member
    Do lots of freshmen live in singles? If you have a single room will it be within a suite or just all alone? Does a suite share a bathroom or the whole floor?
  • Cornelli2008Cornelli2008 Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    1) Make sure to get some sleep. My first month at Cornell, I was having such a good time making friends that I stayed up until 3 or 4 every night chatting in the dorm lounge. Try to limit this a little.

2) GO TO CLASS. As much as you don't want to. And if you are not a morning person, then do your best to sign up for later lectures. I am not a morning person at all. The semesters that I had 9 o clock classes, I got around a 3.2 GPA, but the semesters that I started at 11 (and yes this is possible) I averaged around a 3.8.

3) Do the reading, take good notes, and make sure you understand the homework before you turn it in (even if you have the right answers, actually understanding completely why that answer is correct will save you hours of studying later on)

4) Try out every resource (Office hours, tutors, group studying, weekly TA review sessions, reading the textbook even if it's not mandatory, flashcards, rewriting notes, takenote, etc.) and then find out what works best for YOU. It might take a semester or two, but when I finally learned how to study correctly for me, A's were no longer impossible to get.

5) Lastly, don't forget to get out, join clubs, go to parties, play sports outside, and enjoy the amazingness of Cornell. Although I love Mann library, I would never be this happy here if I had not gotten involved on campus.

Good luck!
    TurtleFever: yes!!! my roomie was HumEc/PAM and I'm CALS/Bio&Society
  • passwordpassword Registered User Posts: 565 Member
    does anyone know how the facebook roomate finder thingey works? thanks =]
  • delivery mandelivery man . Posts: 59 Junior Member
    A random question: where is the best place for transfers to live? Dewdrop: where did u live as a transfer? Do you get plenty of chances to meet people and make friends?? How did you blend into Cornell socially and academically?
  • dhruv17590dhruv17590 Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    Question to you wisdomous people: I've only ever seen 2 US colleges...(from India)...Bryn Mawr and Columbia which my sister went to...was just looking at wikipedia (jobless I know)...Cornell is like 300+ acres or something!! Its HUGE!! Crazy HUGE!! so my question is whats that like? Whats the campus/life on campus like?
    delivery man: when I came here there was a dorm called the Transfer Center...but it was torn down in Spring 2007. It's a shame b/c it's where I met most of my friends and is probably the biggest reason that I adjusted so well.

From now on transfers will be housed in groups and spread throughout the dorms on West.
  • KryptoniteManKryptoniteMan Registered User Posts: 319 Member
    I have to comment on previous post of "2) GO TO CLASS". Yes do so for the first 3-4 weeks to see if the professors lecture is useful for quizzes, hw, and even the prelim. However, if you feel that the professor rambles and doesn't teach the material (and if attendance is rarely taken), then don't go to class. I have found better use of the time that I otherwise wouldn't have (I go to the gym, sleep in, or extend my work hours doing research). Its a good idea to ask other people of the background and history of professor (i.e. teaching style, mostly lecture or textbook, quizzes/prelim hard or not, etc.) All this will be especially useful if you end up having 5+ classes.
  • delivery mandelivery man . Posts: 59 Junior Member
    dewdrop: thanks for the info. I am a bit disappointed that there no longer exists the transfer dorm...Still, does the housing option in the West give me enough social settings? I am afraid that people at Cornell already have their friends by Sophomore year.
This discussion has been closed.