Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How safe is Cornell?

13»

Replies to: How safe is Cornell?

• polisciphdpolisciphd Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Girls shouldn't walk alone at night?

Sigh. What an attitude.

Maybe girls should wear full hijab and stop tempting men?

Bad things happen, yes, but girls - and women for that matter - shouldn't be asked to live in fear or hide themselves away. Be confident, well-informed, fierce, independent, and fearless. That isn't foolproof, but nothing in life is foolproof, and it sure beats the alternative.
  • stargazerliliesstargazerlilies - Posts: 1,470 Senior Member
    Ahh so when one group stereotypes another, it's ok, but when it's the other way around, it's elitism? if you say so.

cc102 - yep and not only is that part of our history, but it's till true today. you'd be surprised how many people don't realize this...I mean, sure it's brought up in History class, but I would say the average person doesn't realize it. Still, let's not pretend this doesn't apply to the rest of the nation, where it's worse in some areas. Or to much of the world.

polisciphd - I think all that person was trying to say is since we're smaller than men, it's harder to fight off a predator..that said, I walk around NYC by myself, and never feel unsafe, so i doubt an Ithaca girl feels unsafe walking around after dark.

"Trust me, I've been lots of places, and though they were great, it certainly doesn't make me want to move." Who said anything about moving?
  • polisciphdpolisciphd Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    stargazer - You're right, for the record, I'm sure that's all he/she was trying to say. And you're also right that we're smaller than men, but I LOVE your fearless attitude. I wish that for all women, that none of us should ever have to feel unsafe. Unrealistic, I know...but sweet dream nonetheless.
    Yep I understand...I grew up in a strict Muslim household, and my grandma actually wears a hijab and warned me not to "tempt men" (tank tops - oh no!) so I get how you feel the whole girls not walking alone thing is demeaning. But the truth is predators are often men, and it's so easy to assault a drunk college girl alone at night. In NYC, there are always people around, even at 4 AM, but it might actually be easier in Ithaca (assuming it's not on campus).
  • cc102cc102 Registered User Posts: 610 Member
    stargazer: polisciphd is right when he/she said that that is exactly what I meant. Read what I wrote a little more closely and you'll see that my points coincide directly with yours. Except I never gave the impression that the problems were only applicable to Long Island - or at least I hope I didn't. I merely gave examples specific to Long Island to prove just how "proud" I am to be from such a bigoted place. It was simply an attempt to reiterate the point that I made earlier about how where you come from shouldn't determine who you are and how people shouldn't judge you based on that.

Let's not even get me STARTED on the injustice that goes on in America, much less the world in terms of income gaps and other socioeconomic problems.
    No I think Polisciphd was talking about the guy who said girls shouldn't walk alone at night, not you. But I do agree with what you said. And yeah, I don't think we should even bring up socioeconomic problems, since that's all we hear these days on the news/radio/tv/etc.
13»
This discussion has been closed.