Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell Sends Rejected Students ‘Congrats’ E-mails

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,742 Senior Member
edited September 2009 in Cornell University
"A technological glitch as well as human error caused the Office of Financial Aid to mistakenly send congratulatory e-mails earlier this month to 25 prospective students who had already been rejected by the Office of Admissions, a University official said yesterday."

C.U. Financial Aid Office Sends Rejected Students ?Congrats??E-mails | The Cornell Daily Sun
Post edited by Dave_Berry on

Replies to: Cornell Sends Rejected Students ‘Congrats’ E-mails

• Feral24Feral24 Registered User Posts: 888 Member
    this year is really fail for colleges sending out emails...
  • ChandlerBingChandlerBing Registered User Posts: 1,905 Senior Member
    I think UCSD failed the most... I can't imagine getting an acceptance email and then, 2 hours later, getting rejected.
  • NJBkittyNJBkitty Registered User Posts: 492 Member
    Apparently Cornell did the same thing a few years ago, but on a much larger scale. I think they basically did what UCSD that time.
  • dewdrop87dewdrop87 Registered User Posts: 3,397 Senior Member
    The FA office is always causing problems ;)
    I think they basically did what UCSD that time.

They did...but it affected 550 applicants vs. the 29,000 UCSD applicants. I can't imagine that happening to me...that had to be awful for the students.
  • dewdrop87dewdrop87 Registered User Posts: 3,397 Senior Member
    Why is this now a featured discussion? Surely there are topics more important than this one.
  • brassringbrassring Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    Chandler: What you said above is not true: "I think UCSD failed the most... I can't imagine getting an acceptance email and then, 2 hours later, getting rejected. "

The facts: On March 14, UCSD correctly released results (admits, rejects) for over 47,000 applicants. Then on March 28 or so, the school wanted to send a reminder of Admit Day on April 4 to all 16000 ADMITTED. Instead it sent the reminder to all APPLICANTS, a case of using the wrong database. Two hours later, an email of apology was sent to ALL those who were wrongly addressed.

All those who checked their "MyApplication" on UCSD on March 28 still saw their original Admit/Reject Status. No one but the most naive would have believed this was anything but a mistake.

Unfortunate incident to be sure. But not one where the wrong status was communicated for the first time to 47,000 applicants.
  • blueduckyblueducky Registered User Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    lol i read this in the cornell paper..
  • ChandlerBingChandlerBing Registered User Posts: 1,905 Senior Member
    Weird, the sources I read explicitly stated that decision emails were sent out, and that all applicants got the accepted decision.
  • brassringbrassring Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    There was a TWO-WEEK gap between the decision announcements which were all made and posted correctly (March 14) and the reminder emails (on March 28 or so ) for Admit day sent to all. The Cornell paper has it wrong -- once again procing the axiom don't believe everything you read.

Throughout the whole episode, the acceptances and rejections remained available to all even those who got the reminder email by error. Unfortunate but such is life when you access the wrong database.

The key point is NO, UCSD DID NOT ADMIT EVERYONE at any point.
  • srrinathsrrinath Registered User Posts: 2,363 Senior Member
    In any case, I hope none of this happens this year. It would feel terrible to be accepted first only to have that joy crushed shortly after.
This discussion has been closed.