right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Fun courses at Cornell

zakaqelzakaqel 222 replies24 threads Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Cornell University
I was looking at the courses of study list and some courses caught me eye. I'm thinking of taking archery or riflery at the PE deparment.

Anyone know any other "fun" courses at Cornell?
edited May 2010
32 replies
Post edited by zakaqel on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Fun courses at Cornell

• AnbuItachiAnbuItachi 1249 replies99 threads Senior Member
    no such thing!!! every class is hard hard work
    · Reply · Share
  • dewdrop87dewdrop87 3339 replies58 threads Senior Member
    I had a lot of fun with NS 115 and FDSC 150...they both involved a lot of work...but I enjoyed the professors and the material.
    · Reply · Share
  • RenTheSecondRenTheSecond 104 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Take a "James Bond" semester: Riflery (PE 150), Marksmanship (PE 151), Swedish Massage (PE 141), Wines (HADM 443), Russian (RUSSA 112), the Military and New Technology (Govt 483), and, of course, Human Bonding (HD 362). Wear a tux to all of your classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • qkslvrqkslvr 34 replies4 threads Junior Member
    when do we sign up for courses?
    · Reply · Share
  • rl41090rl41090 123 replies16 threads Junior Member
    dewdrop, I am really excited to Minor in nutrition...any other tips for which classes/professors to take or avoid?
    · Reply · Share
  • kartrider360kartrider360 340 replies9 threads Member
    definitely orgo
    · Reply · Share
  • alamodealamode 1976 replies87 threads Senior Member
    Take a "James Bond" semester: Riflery (PE 150), Marksmanship (PE 151), Swedish Massage (PE 141), Wines (HADM 443), Russian (RUSSA 112), the Military and New Technology (Govt 483), and, of course, Human Bonding (HD 362). Wear a tux to all of your classes.

hahahha thats remarkably james bond-ish!
    · Reply · Share
  • chendrixchendrix 1914 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Can we come up with more "semesters"?

Harry Potter Semester:
    Potions - "CHEM 2510 Introduction to Experimental Organic Chemistry"
    Astronomy - "ASTRO 1195 Observational Astronomy"
    Divination - "ANTHR 3420 Myth, Ritual, and Symbol"
    Arithmancy - "MATH 1350 The Art of Secret Writing"
    Ancient Runes - "LING 3315–3316 Old Norse"
    Care of Magical Creatures - "ANSC 1100 Domestic Animal Biology I"
    · Reply · Share
  • mcvcm92mcvcm92 1143 replies49 threads Senior Member
    Okay... when I visited Cornell, my tour guide said that Cornell's most popular class was I believe it was called Wines101 in which you basically learn the history of wine and get lots of samples haha =)

PS: You can get into the class even if you under 21 because it is an academic calss!
    · Reply · Share
  • ResurgamBellResurgamBell . 2202 replies67 threads Senior Member
    I've argued that many of my semesters have been Communism101...i swear Marx is talked about in every course ^_^
    · Reply · Share
    Introduction to Wines is actually a 4000 level class in the school of Hotel Administration (HADM 4430) with a pre-req of being a Junior or Senior in Hotel, or a senior in any of the other colleges.

Not sure how strict they are about the upperclassmen status, but that's what it states as a pre-req.

@Resurgam, maybe that's because you're in ILR and understanding Marxism and Communism are kind of important to labor issues.
    · Reply · Share
  • ResurgamBellResurgamBell . 2202 replies67 threads Senior Member
    it's not just limited to my ILR courses...although i guess i tend to choose courses that pique my interest :P
    · Reply · Share
  • AnbuItachiAnbuItachi 1249 replies99 threads Senior Member
    dont really take the tour guides too seriously, they really dont know all that much. a lot of them just make up stuff on the spot lol.

for nutrition, id DEFINITELY say avoid brannon. she is SO OO O O O O BOO RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    · Reply · Share
  • jcas323jcas323 555 replies12 threads Member
    wines is good, i heard the beers class is little known but really fun, magical mushrooms is good, human bonding, greek mythology is great, i found prisons and israeli palestinian conflict to be really fascinating (not "fun" in the traditional sense, but really interesting and well taught).
    · Reply · Share
  • ZFanaticZFanatic 1472 replies119 threads Senior Member
    anyone know of any "easier" classes?

So far my first semester is looking like Cal 1, Intro Bio w/lab, Intro Chem w/lab, and FWS. I'm not worried about Cal 1 at all, but I'm looking for an easier class to complete my 1st semester, as I'm assuming most everyone takes 5 classes (or stays about at 15 credits) correct?
    · Reply · Share
  • jcas323jcas323 555 replies12 threads Member
    dsoc 101 is really easy, magical mushrooms is easy, greek mythology, intro to business management in aem. most people stay around 15 credits first semester. i never took more than 16 per semester, but some people take up to 20ish.
    · Reply · Share
  • CayugaRed2005CayugaRed2005 4017 replies24 threads Senior Member
    Harry Potter Semester:
    Potions - "CHEM 2510 Introduction to Experimental Organic Chemistry"
    Astronomy - "ASTRO 1195 Observational Astronomy"
    Divination - "ANTHR 3420 Myth, Ritual, and Symbol"
    Arithmancy - "MATH 1350 The Art of Secret Writing"
    Ancient Runes - "LING 3315–3316 Old Norse"
    Care of Magical Creatures - "ANSC 1100 Domestic Animal Biology I"

These are great! Anybody care to come up with some more 'theme' semesters?!
    · Reply · Share
    If people can come up with themes, I can figure out classes that go with it.
    · Reply · Share
  • ronealdroneald 658 replies52 threads Member
    a lot of them just make up stuff on the spot lol.

REALTALK LOL

On a side note, I heard that that class is actually not easy at all and is actually the most failed class at the school or something.

Is intro to Business Management really that easy?
    · Reply · Share
  • dewdrop87dewdrop87 3339 replies58 threads Senior Member
    dewdrop, I am really excited to Minor in nutrition...any other tips for which classes/professors to take or avoid?

NS 441 was probably my favorite class...the only problem is that NS 331 is a prereq. I really thought I was going to enjoy NS 331, but that class was difficult and I don't feel it was well taught. Most of my friends who took 331 feel the same way about it.
    On a side note, I heard that that class is actually not easy at all and is actually the most failed class at the school or something.

You referring to Intro to Wines? I found the class to be easy and enjoyable. If you do the reading, go over the notes, invest in Take Note and don't leave your studying until the night before...I can guarantee you will pass. The only difficulty I had with the class was remembering the difference between left and right bank Bordeauxs.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity