Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

character count on Cornell Supplement!

James17James17 Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
edited September 2005 in Cornell University
I had already written up my cornell supplementary essays, but when entering them in the online supplement (on the common app..just came up today), the character count of 1250 deleted my last paragraphs on both essays. My word count was under the maximum of 250 for both...am I the only one who is having this problem, and is there any other option to sending online?
Post edited by James17 on

Replies to: character count on Cornell Supplement!

• jmarsh2006jmarsh2006 Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    you can send the common application as well as the supplement by mail, and it won't make that much of a difference to them. However, if you send the supplement by mail, you HAVE to send the common app by mail, you can't do online for one and mail for the other. Hope that helps some...
  • James17James17 Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    yeah im going to have to do that, but i bet the character count is going to change, because only allowing 1200 characters w/ spaces is like having all 3.8 letter words
  • Louis558Louis558 Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    I really want to send my application through the internet. I remember that they said that they prefer it on the internet over the mail. Maybe they will increase the number of characters??

Whats everyone else going to do?
    this is really annoying..since the word count includes spaces all of our words need to be 3 to 4 letters long to meet the requirement which is really crazy...i think im going to call tommorow... if we all call theres a good chance they will change it!
  • sparticus800sparticus800 Registered User Posts: 4,092 Senior Member
    yeah I sent it on paper for just that reason.
    hmm... I guess they don't take you less into consideration because you mailed it to them. I know it might seem silly to think that but it is all subconscious. I hope it will be okay.
    ive already completed most of the common app online...could i just print that out and send it with the printed out editable cornell essays?
    yes I just printed it and added in the parts it wouldn't let me fit, namely the essay. Then I snail-mailed it.
    where did you add the essay? Did you just simply staple it or something?
    yes exactly
    did anyone call yet?
    i called common app and they said theyd talk to cornell about extending the character count. They said it was also probably an error since it is cornell's first year using this kind of online supplement...maybe someone can call to check up on whats going to be done..im applying ED so id like to know now if i need to mail instead
    thanks so much! I will be sure to call.... i will give it unti monday so it doesnt seem to overdone. Thanks again.
    James it will take like 30 minutes to fill your app out in ink and mail it. I think you'll make the November 1 deadline. ;)
    i called friday and they said they are dicussing whether or not to revise the character count tuesday (today), has anyone called yet to check what they decided?
This discussion has been closed.