right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Too Competitive of an Atmosphere?

thinkingtoohardthinkingtoohard 100 replies29 threads Junior Member
Hi everyone,

I recently saw an online post about a student at Harvard who felt like they didn't have close friends who supported them, but would use them for personal gain given the opportunity. Although I know it is not the case everywhere for everyone, it got me thinking about my dream Ivy. Can anyone speak to the atmosphere at Dartmouth- are the kids super competitive with one another or are they genuinely supportive and happy when their friends succeed?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Too Competitive of an Atmosphere?

• Tank07Tank07 102 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I tend to describe Dartmouth students (from my own personal experience there) as very competitive, but internally competitive -- that is to say they compete with themselves, not amongst themselves. It's a highly motivated bunch but they are driven to succeed without comparing themselves to everyone else and, most importantly, without trying to beat the person next to them. I consistently had other students help me on homework and explain concepts after class during their own free time to help me do better, and me to them as well. There was never an air of "I'm number 1, you're number 2 so I can't help you because class rank is all that matters"

That's one reason why I loved it. Everyone was always willing to help out and collaborate, not compete.
    · Reply · Share
  • thinkingtoohardthinkingtoohard 100 replies29 threads Junior Member
    Thank you so much- that was exactly what I was looking and hoping for. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • MBVLovelessMBVLoveless 781 replies29 threads Member
    Dartmouth doesn't really have a cutthroat reputation. Harvard, Princeton, and Columbia do.
    · Reply · Share
  • Jwest22Jwest22 387 replies27 threads Member
    @MBVLoveless‌ Replace Columbia with Cornell.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity