right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Has COVID spoiled your campus visit plans? Meet with 50+ schools at our virtual college fair College Fair tomorrow, Sept. 29! Register NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Dartmouth Cuts 5 Varsity Teams

skieuropeskieurope 41662 replies7999 threads Super Moderator
https://news.dartmouth.edu/news/2020/07/dartmouth-announces-changes-varsity-athletics-program

It seems that it will be a trend for colleges to cut teams to save money as a result of the pandemic.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Dartmouth Cuts 5 Varsity Teams

• SportyPrepSportyPrep 35 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Not convinced it is only a cost saving measure. The Ivies and elite LACs recruit too many athletes as a percentage of their Freshman classes, and are heavy on slots available for very niche sports. I think it is an opportunity for them to reduce their athletic recruitment slots, especially for sports that are tilted toward high socioeconomic strata.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 41662 replies7999 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 13
    SportyPrep wrote: »
    Not convinced it is only a cost saving measure. The Ivies and elite LACs recruit too many athletes as a percentage of their Freshman classes, and are heavy on slots available for very niche sports. I think it is an opportunity for them to reduce their athletic recruitment slots, especially for sports that are tilted toward high socioeconomic strata.

IDK. Brown is cutting 11 teams but said that they are not cutting the number of recruits. I can see cutting niche teams, particularly, as is the case with some of Stanford's cuts, where there are few opponents in their league. But swimming? Not really niche and not limited to high SES
    edited July 13
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 1799 replies46 threads Senior Member
    Nothing to add to the conversation, but good to see you back @skieurope!
    · Reply · Share
  • sgopal2sgopal2 3980 replies52 threads Senior Member
    I expect other schools to follow suit. Especially if the revenue deficits continue into 2021. A lot of these athletic programs don't generate any revenue, and generally decrease diversity. So it makes sense. But athletics are at the core of the Ivy mission, so I was honestly surprised.
    · Reply · Share