right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Greek Life at Dartmouth

BBhavanaBBhavana 9 replies3 threads New Member
edited September 10 in Dartmouth College
Hi,

Coul anyone kindly explain duirng the college selection process how much attention do we have to pay considering the fact that over 50% of the college students are part of "Greek Life". It's fist time I am hearing about it. I would highly appreciate if you can explain the pros and cons of this.
edited September 10
5 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Greek Life at Dartmouth

• RedHikerRedHiker 13 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Hi there! I can speak to those. Disclaimer I'm a current Dartmouth sophomore who hasn't actually rushed yet but I plan on going through the virtual rush process this year.

I certainly think you should consider the prevelance of Greek Life in your decision. Like it or not Greek Life has a large impact on campus and if you abhor the idea of it you might not like Dartmouth. That's not to say Greek Life is the only social opporunity or that you even have to be affiliated; the DOC, extracurriculars, LLCs etc offer other social outlets and for many Greek Life is just one part of their social experience, but even unaffiliated students tend to enjoy spending time at frats casually from what I've seen. I'll do a Pro-Con list like you asked

Pro:
    - Creates a social scene in the woods. Dartmouth is isolated and hanover lacks night life, the frats step in to create a robust social scene. Different frats have different vibes, but they often throw different types of themed parties or concerrts or casual pong and dancing.

- Very Open. Unlike other schools I've been to you don't have to worry about gender ratio or exlusivity. If a frat is open that night they'll let you in 99% of the time unless it's at capacity.

- Opporunities for professional and personal development. Frats create netoworks for job and internship opporunities, and provide a strong sense of belonging. They build close relations between brothers/sisters and often do activities and trips together.

Con:
    - Some frats feel very wealthy, white, athlete-dominated, and heteronormative. I still feel the dominance of the wealthy eastern prep school stereotype within the brotherhoods of some frats and believe they have work to do to create more inclusive memberships. This also extends to getting in to formals and semis to an extent.

- Drinking culture. Depends on you if this is a pro or con but alcohol dominates the frat scene from parties to pong. Nobody pressures you to drink (saves the frat money if you don't) but you'll be in the minority.

- Hierarchal. For a certain percent of the student body, frat/sorority hierarchy, ranking, popularity matters. It can create a little snobbery and is inducive to social climbing. If you're confident in what you like and have good friends not an issue, but it's easy to get wrapped up in.

Overall I love Dartmouth for MANY reasons and I overall enjoy Greek Life. I hope i helped and feel free to reach out if you want clarification or have more questions :)
    · Reply · Share
  • XAB235XAB235 11 replies0 threads New Member
    Thank you for this thoughtful answer. Do you know how Greek Life affects housing. Do most kids move into frats/sororities? What happens to upperclassmen who don't?
    · Reply · Share
  • leave dartmouthleave dartmouth 23 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Greek life at Dartmouth is awful. Check out my post history for some more info. Most people don't move into their Greek house as an upperclassmen and instead live in on-campus dorms or off-campus housing. A lot of Greek houses only have spaces for their exec board and not too many others (eg: sororities usually have 15-25 beds for 150 members)
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3192 replies48 threads Senior Member
    In place of "[a] lot of Greek houses," @leave dartmouth should have said "all Greek houses." Each fraternity and sorority has far more members than rooms in the house. They are gathering places -- gasp, sometimes for studying -- and party places, not primary residences. Honestly, I never expected my Berkeley D to join a sorority, but she did and enjoyed it. It was not a big part of her Dartmouth experience, but it was a part of it. Some people hate it [see above]; others love it; I;m willing to bet that most accept it for it is [see response #1].
    · Reply · Share
  • leave dartmouthleave dartmouth 23 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @AboutTheSame Wasn't your daughter in Sigma Delta? Seems like she benefited from her white privilege in this space: https://dartmouthstudentunion.org/confession-of-a-former-rush-chair
    · Reply · Share