Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Davidson Regular Decisions - Class of 2021

15678911»

Replies to: Davidson Regular Decisions - Class of 2021

• dreamin_of_vandydreamin_of_vandy Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Anyone still waiting on an email with instructions on how to set up student portal to access aid info? We haven't received anything yet.
  • elena13elena13 Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    @dreamin_of_vandy You should probably call and ask. My D received an e-mail with instructions on the 23rd.
  • dreamin_of_vandydreamin_of_vandy Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I did call the Financial Aid office and they said that since both my wife and I work at another university, they wanted to make sure that our daughter didn't have any "tuition benefits" that they could use also at Davidson. Tuition benefits are considered outside scholarships (apparently). Anyway, that shouldn't apply to us since the tuition benefits that our employer/university gives us can only be used at that university and nowhere else. They said it would be another day or two until we get our package.
  • CrusoemomCrusoemom Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member

Posting for son: Decision: Accepted

In State or Out of State: Out of State

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 1490 (did not submit)
    ACT: 35, in one sitting
    SAT II: 790, 750, 740 - only sent 790 for USHistory
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.98 (1 A-)
    Weighted GPA: school doesn't weight
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 4/130
    AP (place score in parenthesis): USHistory (5); Stats (5); Comp. Govt (5); Micro (5)
    IB (place score in parenthesis):
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit; AP Physics; AP US Govt; AP Macro; AP Calc AB; band; other minor stuff required to graduate (Fit for LIfe, anyone?)
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Finalist; Presidential Scholarship Candidate

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
    Cross Country, indoor track, outdoor track - on 4x800 team that set a school record, and both cross country and outdoor track won state championship for their division (Coaches award 2015; most improved 2016; co-captain of all three teams as a senior)
    HMUN;
    Yale Model Congress (best committee legislation award; best delegate on Presidential Cabinet);
    YMCA Youth in Govt. (character development award for NH);
    Student Council (president in 16-17);
    TV Quiz bowl (captain in 16-17)

Job/Work Experience: worked for a landscaper and does yard upkeep for private clients as well

Volunteer/Community service: Eagle Scout at age 16, plus one palm so far; senior patrol leader in 10th grade

Summer Activities: Advanced Studies program at St. Paul's School - 2016; working and at Scout camp prior years

Essays: strong common app about "failing at baling" hay; others were just average
    Teacher Recommendation: Social studies was fabulous; other was unknown
    Counselor Rec: strong - he's also his cross country coach
    Additional Rec: none

State: NH
    School Type: rural public
    Ethnicity: white
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none

Strengths: academics, well-rounded
    Weaknesses: not a recruited athlete; recs might not have been stellar
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: showed strong interest in many ways; good academic fit

General Comments: Davidson is one of his top two choices. It's going to be a very difficult decision, but I strongly believe he'll be happy wherever he ends up.
15678911»