Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

HS junior excited for DS

Replies to: HS junior excited for DS

• HKcadetHKcadet Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Also in response to the Co-Ed issue, even before the new filings by the trustees attempting to block the change the school never released when they would go Co-ed and said that they would announce when they would begin accepting female applicants this June. However with the college being in the midst of a legal battle I'm going to guess they will push back the change, at least for this year.
  • hminothminot Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Tomorrow is June! I can't wait for the application!
  • joxxstickjoxxstick Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    ^ ditto. all the best everyone (:
  • isaiahstockisaiahstock Registered User Posts: 383 Member
    I'm also planning on applying for 2013.
    It's June 3rd and not up yet! Can't wait to start working on the application.
  • ThePinkoThePinko Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Welp. June's almost done and still no sign of the application.
    :)
    The application is up! It seems that the coeducational issue will be resolved legally by the due date for applications. My mother argues that if there are women admitted, there will be relationships, and in the event of a breakup the sense of community may be strained. This seemed to me to not be an issue, as sources say there have been gay relationships on campus. What do y'all think?
  • FurventDogFurventDog Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    hminot: Where did you see information about the possible resolution of the lawsuit? I have been searching to no avail!
    Go to a section called"coeducational" on their website, I believe it is on the news section. There they have a blog on the legal updates.
  • FurventDogFurventDog Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Thanks, hminot!
    So what music are you guys listening to? You reading anything interesting?

I'm completely uneducated in any music pre-1900, and know very little about classical music in the 20th Century, so I've been trying to educate myself there by listening to Rachmaninov, Debussy, Strauss, Messiaen, Thomas Tallis, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Webern, Dvorak and, of course, Mozart. I've been pursuing this pretty far, and it's been consuming a large amount of my spare time.

In terms of reading, I've been lounging around on JSTOR reading on Mathematical Platonism/Nominalism. I've been taking several online courses, too. And working.

For leisure, I went through J.P. Donleavy's "Schultz", just yesterday. It was fun and simple. Donleavy has a way with words, and the eponymous protagonist is regularly able to make you laugh by twisted virtue of the sheer ridiculousness of his statements and the disarmingly basic crassness of his language. "Schultz" is no "Meet My Maker the Mad Molecule", but it was a very welcome break in a summer that is proving to be much more stressful than my school year.

Meanwhile, the essay looms. I've begun conceptual work, and am scribbling my thoughts on a notepad I carry around, as always. But when I think of the task that lays before me, I am unavoidably subsumed by some cosmic dread, shoved to my knees by the enormous task of putting my desire into words, petrified of putting lustful pen to listless paper, deep within the swaying mountains of this wakeful fugue state that is my summer.

"An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom."
    -- Charles Baudelaire, 'The Journey'
    Why is it that when I post in here, the thread comes to a screeching halt?
    Speak, friends! Speak!
    How are your summers? What have you been reading? Watching? Listening to?
    This song is getting some pretty heavy play from me, right now.
    Can - Future Days - YouTube
    Helps calm me down. Really easy to listen to.
  • wonderlandwedwonderlandwed Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    ThePinko, your posts are a bit disarming. You write on this forum with the thoroughness that one might employ while writing to an intimate friend. However, because you are not (this is a... public forum), and because all responses to you do not share the enthusiasm or severity of your posts, you've rendered this thread your own personal Fleshlight. Is this... like, I am not being facetious: were you aware?

I may also be totally off-point here. You may be trying to relate, in earnest, to some people--given, over the internet--who should probably share some interests with you, as they are applying to the same bizarre school that you are.

I don't mean to be severe. To be perfectly honest, I would be thrilled if you and I both made it to Round 2, and we could meet. I am fascinated by the boy who sits at the computer and relays to complete strangers, in intense detail, each new intellectual pursuit! Genuinely fascinated. I don't know what to make of you. I once mentioned you to a friend who has a slight interest in applying to DS. I had barely described what you've written in any depth, and he said, "ThePinko?" He shared my... alarm. I am trying to decide what you look like. Your real-life speech and personality can go so many ways.

We'll find out in two days if it's even possible for me to apply, though ;)
    I'll be more direct: what do you make of your audience here, on CollegeConfidential's Deep Springs 2013 prospectives thread? Whom do you imagine it to be?
    You know what, Pinko, while I'm up: you've said that you're inclined towards the literary. Can you explain this inclination? Why is it so? Just aesthetics, or is there a more personal, tangible reason?
    Fleshlight? I certainly hope what I've been saying hasn't come off as masturbatory!
    There's nothing here to masturbate. I'm not writing for an audience, nor am I examining my posts (though I probably should be).
    Now as to where my perceptions of what kind of people would frequent this thread come from? I'm using previous threads as the bases for my conjecture. I've seen discourse of this manner on those threads, and am hoping those who frequent this thread will respond with comments similar to mine (which, in turn, are similar to those found in "Deep Springs College", "Deep Springs '14", and the others).
    Now as to whether responses share the enthusiasm, or, as you put it, "severity" of my posts, I am somewhat disappointed, as my expectations were (perhaps fatally) specific, and, erm, lofty, from perusing previous threads.
    "You may be trying to relate, in earnest, to some people--given, over the internet--who should probably share some interests with you, as they are applying to the same bizarre school that you are. "
    This is exactly what I am trying to do, and this is why your "Fleshlight" comment was genuinely hurtful, to me. In the end, I am quite sensitive.
    I am hurt because what I have been hoping for is discourse. Discourse with some of the brightest on the Internet, relatively speaking (I'm taking previous threads as indication of this). I'm hurt by the suggestion that my attempts at conversation have been anything other than sincere. Hurt by the idea that my desire for Socratic dialogue has been misinterpreted by even one person to be masturbatory, or self-gratifying.
    I choose to relay my intellectual pursuits on this thread because in previous threads, that has been what prospective DSers have done. I choose to relay my intellectual pursuits on this thread because I want to share ideas with intellects as nuanced as the posters in previous Deep Springs threads. Judging by your (and others in this thread's) obviously considerable Sprachgefuhl, it seems you (+ others) are the people for whom I've written these posts. Yet you do not respond, for you perceive my posts as masturbatory.
    Yes, I write personally, because in the past, others have written personally in these threads.
    But take this as a formal apology: I am sorry for appearing self-obsessed. Hell, I'm sorry if I appear self-obsessed right now (I'm guessing I do). I don't think I am. I really want to hear your opinions. Above anything else, I really, really do.
    I imagine my audience, in short, to be people like you. People such as those from the former Deep Springs thread. Those kinds of people. And I want to talk to them.
    ...Yeah.

Add.-- I'm inclined towards the literary because I feel I can articulate myself most clearly with verbosity and length. Any abstruseness resulting therein is either a genuine error or solvable via dictionary/encyclopedia. As to who I am? Well, I speak colloquially, and (comparably) at ease in person, since I am afforded less time to formulate a clear and pure expression of my thoughts and emotions. My real life personality? A bit grumpy, sometimes. A short temper when dealing with the inattentive or ignorant. Frustrated with those who employ dogma as discursive strategies, disappointed with general phonies. Largely, though, I'm normal and I'm agreeable. I'm being far more direct right now than I am in normal conversation. Some people would call "real" me a mask. I view it as a simple facet of who I am. Neither ego is more "real" or "genuine". They coexist. Read: "The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life" (Erving Goffman) for further elucidation.
    Also, would you mind articulating your "alarm" in greater detail? I'm very curious.
    I'll mention again, just so you don't forget, I do feel bad about being masturbatory. I really don't mean to be, and I would love for people to respond to my posts. I really do just want discourse. My lengthy abstractions have been somewhat painful for me to tolerate absent response, and I now suppose I understand why others have not been responding. So I will say it again.
    I am so, so sorry. I'm a direct person, a sensitive person, but a person who chooses to be governed above all else by logic and rationality. I only have made my posts this verbose that they may be similar in stature and articulation to previous posts made in earlier iterations of this thread. Now, just one more time, to be safe:
    I am sorry. I really, really am.
    Whew.
    Alright.
    Consider this (over(over(over)))overlong response... over.
This discussion has been closed.