Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

HS junior excited for DS

123457»

Replies to: HS junior excited for DS

• ThePinkoThePinko Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    I used to be a big Jack White fan when I was younger. Now I suppose he's a decent blues musician.
    His stuff with White Stripes was incredibly consumable, very stripped-down, yet essentially countercultural and blues-y. As such, it appeals mostly to adolescents. His newer stuff is in the same vein as his stuff with the Stripes, but much more musically complex. I don't really think White has the chops to pull it off, and because of this most of his albums since White Blood Cells have been mediocre. What made the Stripes unique is their stripped-down, raw quality, and abandoning that simply makes Jack White seem tired, to me.
  • ThePinko1ThePinko1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    You guys are all so interesting. I am not applying to Deep Springs, but was interested to find out what kind of people were. WOW. You guys are intensely intellectual and all so interesting.

Um. And also to ThePinko: I used a derivative for your username to make my own because... imitation is, uh, the greatest form of flattery.

I am interested in knowing where all of you do end up.
  • Vyxl7643Vyxl7643 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Howdy y'all

just thought I'd share I'm mailing out my Deep Springs application tomorrow and am very excited about the whole process. I wish everyone the best!
  • hminothminot Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Congrats!
    I have my application ready, but I can't get a copy of my transcript because my school was shut down for the past week because of hurricane Sandy with no hope of reopen king soon.
  • KennyG666KennyG666 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Word on the street is 40 kids get called back for round two. Can any one confirm whether this is a percentage of the total applicants or a fixed number?
  • Vyxl7643Vyxl7643 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Ah that's lousy! I think the best course of action would be to mail in your application as is with a note on Hurricane Sandy's effect on getting your transcript, which they say you can mail in separately to the admissions office.

Anyway, hope everything is alright where you're from. I know Sandy was devastating.
  • val2go47val2go47 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    They pick about 40 students to apply for the second round - not a percentage. So, probably 15-20% of the applicant pool, give or take. I'm not sure how many girls are applying.
    I hope everything is going okay where you are hminot! DS is giving those affected an extension on their applications. I don't know if you recieved the email but if you contact them about it they will postpone the due date for you.
  • hminothminot Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    I got my application out and about a week later I retread the instructions.
    I forgot to add the appropriate number of copies, and used STAPLES not paper clips. It's all good though. I checked with the ApCom and I didn't disqualify myself with negligence.
  • AnnChristineAnnChristine Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My name is Ann Schnoebelen and I'm a reporter for The Chronicle of Higher Education. In light of the recent court ruling putting admission of females to Deep Springs on hold, we'd really like to talk to some women who either applied or looked at applying. I'm curious about your thoughts and feelings on the situation, how far into the application you were and how you think it might affect your future plans.

I'd love to hear from you: [email protected] or 202-466-1060 (weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST)

Thanks!
  • StarWarsManStarWarsMan Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    ThePlinko, you probably can't even ride a horse cause you just read. PS your screenplay leaked online and I read it. Idk man..... needs some work for now. A lotta work. You're no Tarantino, I'll tell ya that much.
  • EdjumacationEdjumacation Registered User Posts: 302 Member
    Does anyone know if rejection calls/letters are sent out, or if lack of notification by January serves as notification in itself?
  • angryscissorsangryscissors Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @Edjumacation, In the email confirming my online application submission, it reads, "First round decisions will be released no later than December 22nd, 2013. If you do not receive a decision by that date, please contact the Applications Committee at [email protected]"

So they intend to send rejection notifications, and you should contact them if you receive nothing.
123457»
This discussion has been closed.