Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Application: Round Two

Replies to: Application: Round Two

• ThePinkoThePinko Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Oh, God, so cryptic!!!
  • angrycreatureangrycreature Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    It seems awful to leave you guys in suspense.

There was a letter sent out - I don't have it with me right now so I can't reproduce the language - but it apologized for the notification delay and said that ApCom was particularly interested in my application. It then said that they hoped that I would still be excited to go interview when notifications were released in mid-January.

I assume this letter was sent to warn me to start work on the second round essays. I also assume this letter was only sent to female applicants, because it seems cruel to send it to male applicants some of whom will not be included in the second round if women are invited. That's all that I know.
    Oh, wow, I hope to God you're right!
    I'm seriously trembling with fear. I need to know, as soon as possible!
    Oh, man, oh, man, oh, man!

I suppose if Oaktree is male, we would know if they sent it to male applicants.
    Could Oaktree possibly enlighten us as to his/her gender? That is, if it wouldn't totally compromise their standards of anonymity.
    Several people just like me are waiting, tremulous. It certainly wouldn't go unappreciated!
  • oaktree33oaktree33 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey friends, I am a female and DS emailed about the decision. Unfortunately, the letter they sent is worthless because the court case didn't pass, shame. I guess I will focus all my energy on Reed College now! I wish all the male applicants the best!
  • hminothminot Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    That's a great attitude, I think some people on this thread could take heed of your relaxed nature about DS. But then again it is a bit fun to be stressed.
  • KennyG666KennyG666 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Yo Oak tree where you from? I'm applying to Reed from Boston
    I'm sorry, Oak Tree. You're handling it marvelously (admirable).
    I'm applying to Reed, too, and, considering Deep Springs' selectivity, it's where I think I'll most likely end up! (It's unsurprising to me that Deep Springs and Reed have applicant overlap)

I'll PM you if that's the case. Good luck!

As for the guys -- if anyone gets a call, I humbly request them to post in one of these threads as soon as they're able to. Of course, I don't mean to boss you around, but I'm just so worried, all the time!

I'm so sorry, female applicants. I'm sure you'll all end up at great schools.
    Well said.
  • KennyG666KennyG666 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Hey Oaktree, sorry if my previous post seemed abrupt and insensitive, just excited to hear about another prospective Reedie. To be honest, up until reading the posts from female applicants tonight i was really only looking at the co-education hearing as a determiner of higher or lower chances of me getting in. Something really clicked after reading those posts though. To be restricted by something as inconsequential as gender is wrong,unfair and just really sucks. Not to be melodramatic, but this has vastly reshaped outlook on gender inequality. Despite the sleep depriving and procrastination inducing excitement of deep springs, i feel that my application was not sufficient to gain me entry into Deep Springs. With that said, not even being granted the chance to worry about acceptance is really painful. It truly hurts to know that people like you aren't even being considered as a result of your gender. Don't let the bastards get you down!
  • CricketcubCricketcub Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I received a letter a few weeks ago from them as well, stating that they were interested in my application. I'm extremely disappointed that they cannot admit women this year. I was really looking forward to visiting and matriculating should I be accepted. Good luck to all still in the running for a spot. I'll be back when they finally accept women.
  • skeeter12skeeter12 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Oaktree33 and Cricketcub: would you be transfer students? Or are you currently in high school?

Quite devastated, but looking into (hopefully) equally exciting gap year options. It'll take a while to move on, but time will do that for me.
  • wildgob55wildgob55 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I also received a letter, and I'm not so much disappointed by the coeducation ruling as shocked by the poor form on the part of Deep Springs. They never should have opened the application pool if they were not fairly certain of potential admission. Maybe I'm being melodramatic, but every correspondence I had with them was doggedly optimistic. When it seems that anyone with legal experience could have seem this would be a potential roadblock, I would have appreciated more warning. I'm not sure I would want to transfer after all this.

All that said, I'm mostly just a disappointed high schooler. Good luck guys.
  • CricketcubCricketcub Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    skeeter12: I'm exploring gap year options. I have pledged to apply until I cannot apply anymore, haha. The DS experience is something I would really like to experience first-hand.

Perhaps ApCom was fairly certain that they could admit women in 2013 at the time / maybe things were looking good then. It was a decision made by a bunch of them and they wouldn't have just decided to let girls apply on a whim.
    The legal issue is dissapointing for female applicants, and anyone who supports coeducation. It seems like amateurish behavior to have led female applicants on, but I guess that's what you get with an admissions department run by students and not professionals.
This discussion has been closed.