Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Deep Springs 2018 Entry

Replies to: Deep Springs 2018 Entry

• matias_alvarzmatias_alvarz Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am an international student from Guadalajara, Mexico. Do you have your school grades as letter ones of percentage ones?
  • matias_alvarzmatias_alvarz Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
  • MaizeScreamMaizeScream Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I wonder if the class size will be twice as large now? If not, RIP us :(
  • BladesingerBladesinger Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @brycevick1 I've heard about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance; it looks very cool and I hope you enjoy it more as you get further into it! I've just recently finished Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, and I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. The former had a larger impact on me. I'm currently reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and Hormones: A Very Short Introduction by Martin Luck (Oxford UP). Books I have up next on my list that are waiting on my shelf are two more AVSIs—Hegel and the Dead Sea Scrolls—, Essays by Michael de Montaigne (so excited to read that one!) and Great Dialogues of Plato (Excited about this one, too!) Unfortunately, it was only within the last few months that I began reading much nonfiction outside of school. It's been very gratifying but I hope the disproportionate ratio of fiction to nonfiction won't turn off ApCom.

@MaizeScream, I have read in multiple sources that Deep Springs is reluctant to increase the size of the school. The minuscule, tight-knit community is very, very important to them and a doubling of enrollment, even of such a small number, would, I think, be a detriment to that facet of the college's educational atmosphere. So our chances have been halved, but it's for a good cause!

Also, I received my SAT scores this morning and very happy to say I scored in the national 99th percentile! But I'm very sad to say that with NO preparation I scored HORRIBLY on the essay. I shouldn't have taken it. :( Maybe my essays for the application will redeem me?
  • danniedorkodanniedorko Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited September 2017
    Hi! I'm applying to Deep Springs this fall as well, as an international female applicant and UWC grad. I'm really excited to be able to apply this year :)
  • OscarWOscarW Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @matias_alvarz My grades are not even displayed as a percentage, number or letter. We are simply given a rank at my school.

How are people going with the ap?
  • iliketoreadalotiliketoreadalot Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    @danniedorko That's cool! I'm curious, are you nervous as a female applicant?
  • danniedorkodanniedorko Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @iliketoreadalot I was initially worried about applying to studying in a possibly hostile climate because I didn't know if the Student Body supported DS turning co-ed, but I got in touch with an Alum who laid those fears to rest. Now I'm only worried about the odds being ridiculous, the number of applications might easily double from the past few years.
  • erowinderowind Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2017
  • gonfalonieregonfaloniere Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    @danniedorko ayyy I'm in my last year at UWC. I can imagine DS has quite a pull among UWC kids.
  • ilovewhitmanilovewhitman Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Hi! Just found this forum and I am applying to Deep Springs this year for 2018 entry! Can't believe there are only a couple weeks left to polish those essays!
    I'm just wondering what everyone is doing for listing their extracurricular activities! Are people including about the same information as the common application (~150 words per each activity), or expanding and including more information? Thanks!
  • iliketoreadalotiliketoreadalot Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    I simply listed my ECs like on the common app and described how I participated. Two of my ECs were especially personally significant, so I took two sentences each to briefly elaborate on that. I figured that they aren't going to want paragraphs for every activity though, so I kept everything short.
    Thanks so much for the feedback! The deadline is coming really quickly... and I still haven't even written my essay about relationships!
  • BladesingerBladesinger Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Once Saturday is past, I would love to hear which prompts you guys chose for the essays.