Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Strong departments at Denison?

ZetesisZetesis Registered User Posts: 1,855 Senior Member
edited April 2009 in Denison University
My D has been accepted to Denison. Can anyone comment on which departments are particularly strong? She really has wide ranging interests (chemistry, German/French, psychology, English). But I'm curious which departments are particularly outstanding.
Post edited by Zetesis on

Replies to: Strong departments at Denison?

• StitchInTimeStitchInTime Registered User Posts: 1,289 Senior Member
    As a result of my interactions with both students and faculty during the most recent Junior Day, I found their Economic, Psychology and Studio Art departments to be very strong.

The Art department will be getting new facilities in the fall.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,056 Super Moderator
    Based on my readings and DD1's experience, I think English is also very strong.
  • ZetesisZetesis Registered User Posts: 1,855 Senior Member
    Thanks; anybody know anything about the science departments (chemistry)?
  • Whistle PigWhistle Pig - Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    Don't know much of quality, but many of the science facilities are really nice. Olin funded their bio bldg, and prior to commencing Olin College, they were very selective about the schools and programs for which they'd construct a building.
  • cn173cn173 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    From their website, here are the top departments in terms of majors:

Economics
    Biology
    Communication
    English
    Psychology
    Political Science

Number of majors is probably not always the best indicator of the strength of departments. But economics and biology are definitely the top two.
  • ZetesisZetesis Registered User Posts: 1,855 Senior Member
    Thanks. Does anybody know anything about the Dance department, other than what's on the website, etc.?
  • NEValuNEValu Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    This is my son's chief interest (for now anyway :), actually this has persisted for over a year) I suspect it's somewhat small which is probably OK and we know that Jennifer Garner and Steve Carrell are famous alums. Anything that any recent former students, current students or parents could add would be great
  • portlandportland Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Economics, History, Political Science, English, Communicatoin, Psychology, Biology, Chemisry, Pre-Med are the most common and very strong. Art History is also strong with great faculty.

I knew several people in the art/cinema majors. It's a small group that mostly hang out with themselves. Think of them as the "independents" who don't dress like everyone else. The spring cinema event where seniors make their own short videos is always a major draw! Word to the wise though: If you want to major in cinema, you better double major with something else.
  • portlandportland Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    PS. Im a former student.
  • Whistle PigWhistle Pig - Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    Hopefully successful grad? Current alumnus?? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.