Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

DePaul University or Southern Methodist University

ChicagoKid10ChicagoKid10 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I am an African-American senior from Chicago, and I will be attending one of these two universities. Both fall around the same price for me, so it's come down to which has the most to offer. I plan to study marketing and have been accepted to both universities' business schools.

SMU's Cox School of Business has a great reputation, but I have of course heard of what the stereotypical SMU student is like. As a minority student that doesn't come from a wealthy family, I've been worried about if the adjustment would detract from my experience. I have never been to the campus, but from what I've seen in pictures, it looks like a place I could see myself enjoying for the next four years, IF I'm able to adjust. Do the "Southern Millionaire's University" stereotypes hold true, and would they have a large impact on my experience?

On the other hand, while DePaul doesn't have the same prestige as SMU, their business school is still excellent from my understanding. I have friends going to this school, and being close to home would also be a pro in some ways (aside from terrible Chicago weather). With DePaul, I've just heard a lot about it being a commuter school, and that students transfer out a lot. If the school really has no sense of community, then I may be better off at SMU. Are these judgements about DePaul accurate?

Ultimately, I'm simply seeking any input from anyone with more information or experience than I have. Where would my education be in good hands for the next four years?

Replies to: DePaul University or Southern Methodist University

This discussion has been closed.