Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

I'm a transfer student who's interested in DePaul!

Cris CarlsonCris Carlson Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited December 2008 in DePaul University
Hey, I currently go to the University of Central Florida and have realized that it's just not for me. I need a bigger city and Chicago would provide just that! I have yet to visit, so that's a number one priority, but I'll get that out of the way in the next year if not sooner.

Right now I'm only a freshman who just completed his first semester ( with a 4.0 GPA, 15 Credits ). I'm not in the honors program nor am I in any other "elite: programs. For now, I'm strictly sticking to classes and keeping my GPA hovering near 4.0. I don't plan on transferring until after my sophomore year at UCF, so hopefully at the end of my 2nd year my GPA will be around a 3.8-4.0 with well over the required 30 credit hours for transferring.

I'm still not sure about my major, but what I am sure about is that I won't be applying to the college of music or college of commerce.

I have a few questions:

- How competitive is it for transfer students? Is it an impossibility for me to get in even if I maintain strong grades?

- Why should I choose DePaul over the University of Illinois-Chicago?

- How expensive is out of state tuition? My father died a year ago and my mom only makes $20,000 a year so I'm assuming I'll be getting a decent amount of financial aid, right? I also have a college fund that would most likely provide around $10,000 a year at DePaul. Would I need more than that? How much cheaper is University of Illinois-Chicago?

- What is housing like? Would I easily be able to get a small apartment for a reasonable cost?

and last but not least, to those who go there:

- Do you love it? Do you like it? Do you hate it?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just felt like letting everything out. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Cris Carlson on

Replies to: I'm a transfer student who's interested in DePaul!

• Somewhere2012Somewhere2012 Registered User Posts: 336 Member
    DePaul offers so many more opportunities than UIC! DePaul is also very expensive. Look at Roosevelt, North Park, and Loyola in Chicago. I would consider the one that gives you the best aid package. In Chicago there will be no housing in a good area at a reasonable cost. You will love Chicago though, best city in the world.
This discussion has been closed.