Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dickinson Announces New Rankings Policy

1235»

Replies to: Dickinson Announces New Rankings Policy

• nvdadnvdad Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    If Dickinson really thought the ratings were invalid they'd refuse to supply data to the raters. If they'd gone up 5 spots I believe they'd still be mulling over the validity of the rating system. This seems like an attempt to turn bad press into good press.
  • longrun12longrun12 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    The real deal is Dickinson use the SAT to decide who get scholarships. If you do not have an SAT score of 1400 you are out of the running, you could be ranks 5% in your class but without a 1400 no dice!
  • wyograd76wyograd76 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    The web site lists qualifications for the top two scholarship amounts as 1450+ verbal/math SAT, top 10% of class, and evidence of leadership activities. Longrun, do you think it is unfair that they use the SAT to decide who gets the big$$ amounts?
  • collegeprep11collegeprep11 Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    of course the school is trying to attract students with high sat scores in order to boost its ranking. most schools do the same but dickinson just doesn't want to admit they care a great deal about the ranking.
    Wyograd76 I sure do! When a college claims to use a holistic review of applicant then uses the SAT only as a scholarship bench mark there is a problem. Why even have the application process just send in your SAT score and you in. It is a Fact that the SAT is a poor indicator of student’s ability to success in college! Past performance should be the overwhelming factor
  • wyograd76wyograd76 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    Actually Dickinson has been SAT optional for at least 3 years that I know of. If a student does not want to share SAT scores with the college, they have the option of submitting supplemental material of their choice. A friend's son submitted evidence of musical talent, interviewed with admissions and recieved one of the big merit awards. So merit award guidelines are just that - guidelines. I'm sure that is the case at many other colleges as well.
    After reading many posts on these boards it's obvious that those who score high on the SAT's favor their use for merit awards, those who score low think the test is unfair.
    I was told just last week that unless you have an sat of 1450 you can not receive a merit award.
  • MarathonMan88MarathonMan88 Registered User Posts: 1,321 Senior Member
    Dickinson's policy is quite mainstream; the vast majority of SAT-optional colleges require standardized test scores for consideration for merit aid.

It might help to look at the policy from colleges' perspective: What they're trying to do with merit aid is different from what they're trying to accomplish during the admissions process. Merit aid is not (or only coincidentally) a prediction of likely academic success. Put bluntly the limited amount of merit aid that they have is a tool to stay in the game in competing for students who receive D's top academic ratings and who probably wouldn't even consider enrolling at Dickinson without an offer of merit money. The pool that they're targeting was almost surely admitted to several more selective schools and would be considered strong candidates even at these colleges. Since most top-20 LACs are need-based only and either require standardized tests, or require them to be considered a top academic admit, you can at least see the logic of the policy in identifying the target group, even if it doesn't make you feel good if you don't meet their cutoff.
  • amethyst213amethyst213 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    I agree, they are trying to attract top students with the merit money. I work as a private college coach and have seen more than one college bend their own rules to lure a student that they really want.
    I get it I guess. With Dickinson being one of the top priced schools in the country I wonder what it is they are selling.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.