right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

1171819202123»

Replies to: The Indian Thread #22 AKA Class of 2018 admissions

• Dkdgr8Dkdgr8 18 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I am in a CBSE board school. My school marks are very low coz the class 11 and 12 in my school is extremely tough. If I have performed well in science and maths olympiads, and have AP's in physics and calculus with scores of 5, can it compensate for my school marks ?
    · Reply · Share
  • handsonhandson 14 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14 New Member
    @Dkdgr8 What was your score in Grade 9 and 10? How low is very low? Which stream are you - Science / Commerce / Arts? Some Adcoms (very few) understand this unique Indian phenomena. Have you taken the SAT? If you are otherwise a good student with an overall good academic record (9/10 grades/ olympiads/ AP) those will reflect your true ability to the Adcoms.
    · Reply · Share
  • HrithuHrithu 19 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23 New Member
    HEy guys, i'm hrithu, applying for call of 2019.... @ sahil: how do you do an AP class in our education system...?? please help.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlexasAlexas 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I am from Kerala and visit www.ivyties.com an academic social network for knowing information about college admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • ivyaspirant14ivyaspirant14 58 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Can anyone give me data regarding the IB scores out of 42 that serve as a pseudo-requirement to get into the IVY League or Stanford. I have a current 38 score and a predicted of 39.Would my 2300+ SAT be able to balance out a slightly low grade? My counsellor seems to think that my scores are fine. I have applied to Stanford REA
    · Reply · Share
  • fbhsfhthjfbhsfhthj 63 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Hey guys I'm from Mumbai and I wanted to take up the AP tests. Do I need to attend some kind of classes to take these tests or can I take these tests( just like you take the SAT). Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
  • mumbai98mumbai98 153 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    @fbhsfhthj‌ You can take the tests on your own if you want to. If you feel that you need prep, attend classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • fbhsfhthjfbhsfhthj 63 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Thanks and I don't think I'm going to require extra prep.
    · Reply · Share
  • Terminator131097Terminator131097 6 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Accepted to Illinois institute of technology.... can anyone tell me their opinions related to the engineering program there?
    · Reply · Share
  • HrithuHrithu 19 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Hey guys, got admitted to NYU poly clss of 2019.... having trouble with arranging finances... anybody know of any scholarships available ( small or big).... please post.....
    · Reply · Share
  • master642master642 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    A little help needed here.
    I wish to apply to the US and have just cleared the SAT (M 720/ CR 800/ W 640). Most colleges consider GPAs as a selection parameter. I was wondering what scores do they take (ie Class 11 Final or Class 12 HY), and how to convert a percentage score to its GPA equivalent?
    Thanks in advance!
    · Reply · Share
  • hopingforbetterhopingforbetter 794 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 811 Member
    @master642 You are digging this old thread out of its grave (or maybe I am doing it now). Start a new thread to post your questions and concerns, or you could join the most recent class thread to find active people.

Anyway, all your grades would be taken into consideration. So yes, you need to worry about both your class 11 final and class 12 midyear grades. Don't worry about converting anything to a GPA. Nobody can do it tbh. In the US, each school follows one or the other kind of credit unit system and they can convert quite easily from one system to another. In India, there is no credit system (I can't speak for the IB because i have no clue how that works). For a very rough estimate:

>=90%: A (4)
    80-89.99%: B (3)
    70-79.99%: C (2)
    60-69.99%: D (1)
    <60%: E or F (Fail; 0)

The numbers in the parentheses pertain to the 4.0 GPA scale. So if I have 3 As and 2Bs in a semester, my estimated GPA would be a 3.6/4.0 [(3*4+2*3)/5 = 3.6].
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity