Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

All prospective students please read

2»

Replies to: All prospective students please read

• aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    If nobody chose the school for sports, there's no reason for you to keep warning people about the sports scene.
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,641 Senior Member
    I think many prospective students choose the school partially because of the sports scene, although obviously for precisely the opposite reason that many students choose big DI schools. One of the ways my father "sold" Emory to me was by emphasizing its DIII status. I know a number of other students who consider the total lack of sports derived school spirit a huge positive for the school (personally I think school spirit based on athletics isn't real school spirit).
  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    You really don't need to put down sports-related school spirit to put the lack thereof at Emory into perspective. My son REALLY wanted a Division I school where he could go to football games, basketball games, etc. The last tour that we did immediately before the Emory Admitted Students Day in late April was at such a school. But he came to a couple of realizations:
    -- There are only about six or seven home football games per year. Not necessarily the best basis on which to choose a college.
    -- There were academic opportunities at Emory that went way beyond those at any of the Division I schools to which he'd been admitted.
    -- Intramural sports at Emory are pretty good. In fact, the participation rate for intramural sports at Emory is greater than at a lot of 'sports' schools.

Finally, at the ASD he buddied up with a few guys who were totally into sports, and who had already committed to Emory. By the end of the day they'd already set up a fantasy football league. Now, are these guys typical of Emory students? Who cares? My son saw that if he wanted to play a pickup game of basketball or wanted to watch NFL games on Sunday there'd be guys to hang with. We sent in the deposit that night.

Anyone who's looked into Emory in any serious fashion knows that on Saturdays there aren't going to be students with the Emory Eagle (or Dooley) painted on their cheek. If that's a high school kid's fantasy of what college must be, they'll simply go elsewhere. But there will be some kids at Emory who are a bit nuts about sports. If you look for them, you'll find them.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,324 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    @AsleepAtTheWheel‌ : You would be surprised how common the fantasy sports leagues are at Emory lol. Extremely...and the intramural sport participation is correct and somewhat functions like they do at say, Harvard where it will pit different housing units (whether it be Greek houses or regular housing) against each other and build dorm pride/comradeship among those involved (and maybe more). It certainly doesn't live up to the HS fantasy of college (which may be more based on Animal House and the American Pie derived movies), but functions just fine for the types of students who "should" (and often do) seriously consider Emory. At many really serious D-1 schools, especially those in the south (public or private), the idea of sport seems to be primarily a spectator's event. It is indeed very fun and "spirit building" (even if temporary), but many folks can get over it or go without it.
  • skribeskribe Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Bernie, you probably know this already but I just wanted to say, as another poster who stops by once in awhile just to help with information, that I've never seen anything you say as particularly false or shillish. I appreciate the time you spend on here helping to give some advice and perspective to prospective students. Sorry you're having to deal with this thread.

This thread is idiotic and I agree with literally nothing the original poster said. /thread =/
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,324 Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    @skribe‌ Oh don't worry about it. I won't bother truly getting riled up from this sort of thing (okay, though the Oxford haters really, really annoy me) so much as making fun of it using the wit and cleverness that my Emory education has given me (or enhanced). Oh wait, and also the ability to look things up and use data lol. The OP may religiously watch Fox News (biased and wrong) or CNN (which isn't biased, but is often wrong lol. Very embarrassing, because they aren't even wrong because they have an angle) and therefore may not believe in the ideas of facts or data (or using them properly). Apparently their opinion, whether redundant, irrelevant, or without evidence to back it up is good enough to be "truth". I don't think we're supposed be that way after a liberal arts education, but whatever (then again, the definition of a liberal arts education and its use is debatable. I just know it shouldn't lead to that sort of judgement or lack of nuance when deriving an opinion or telling one's side).
2»
This discussion has been closed.