Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Grading system in high school

vassan777vassan777 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
hi everybody! i'm a prospective international student applying to elite US colleges. however, the biggest burden that impedes my decision regarding the colleges i'm going to apply is my high school transcript. I take A level courses at one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Nepal. however, the school has set almost unrealistic cutoffs for an 'A', which is 75%. the teachers are really stringent in marking our papers. the maximum number of people who have an A in subjects like chemistry is maybe around 7 out of 90 people. i fall in the top 5-10% of my class but still have a B in chemistry. this fills my transcript with A,A,B,B, and C.The class average is around D (which doesn't get included in the transcript) will this hurt my chances of getting in or will its effect get neutralized by excellent SAT subject test scores? or should i notify the colleges personally about the grading system in my school?

Replies to: Grading system in high school

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,045 Super Moderator
    should i notify the colleges personally about the grading system in my school?
    No. That is the responsibility of the counselor/administrator who fills out your Secondary School Report. "Elite US colleges" have admissions officers who are well-versed in reading applications from international applicants. Assume that they are familiar with course rigor at various schools in your country.
  • JustOneDadJustOneDad Registered User Posts: 5,845 Senior Member
    "the maximum number of people who have an A in subjects like chemistry is maybe around 7 out of 90 people...".

That seems about right. Maybe a little generous.
This discussion has been closed.