Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Golf or Crew?!

MuselkMuselk Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
edited January 2016 in Athletic Recruits
Hello, this might seem like a weird question. I love both golf and crew. I am in eight grade right now. I am a single digit handicap in golf and I have been playing for two and a half years(competitively). I started crew last year and am on the school team who has a really stringent routine. I am not sure which one I should choose as I can only pick one. I am also looking to get recruited in universities for one of the two sports. Please give me some tips on which one I should do. I understand I am young but I really want to put maximum effort on one sport. Thank you. Please also tell me what a university looks for in both golf and crew.

Replies to: Golf or Crew?!

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,477 Senior Member
    Male or female?
  • MuselkMuselk Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    edited January 2016
    I am a white male, currently 5 feet seven and I am fit. #twoinanddone
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,429 Senior Member
    Mens rowing isn't an NCAA sanctioned sport so if an athletic scholarship is the goal, that may not be your best bet.
    I am looking to get in a university in the Ivy league, I am also Canadian. #varska
  • bluewater2015bluewater2015 Registered User Posts: 563 Member
    One point to consider is how tall do you think you'll be as you get older, as college rowers tend to be tall at schools where it's a varsity sport.

On the other hand, at schools that have rowing (especially if there are both heavyweight and lightweight teams), there are a lot more spots than in golf.
  • fenwayparkfenwaypark Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    edited January 2016
    Mens rowing isn't an NCAA sanctioned sport so if an athletic scholarship is the goal, that may not be your best bet.

I know you did not mean to say there are no scholarships for men's rowing because it is not an NCAA sport, but if I was confused at first, maybe some others might be too.

"Men’s rowing is not a NCAA Championship sport, but there are varsity status men’s programs with scholarship opportunities."

http://www.usrowing.org/docs/default-source/resource-library/USRowing_Recruiting_Guide.pdf?sfvrsn=0

"Washington athletic director Barbara Hedges announced today the establishment of the Jon Runstad Endowed Scholarship for Men's Rowing. The scholarship is the first of its kind for the Husky men's rowing program and is a part of the University's current Campaign for the Student-Athlete fundraising effort. The scholarship is funded by Runstad's initial gift of $262,000 and will provide support for up to four rowers each year."

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208009194

By comparison, NCAA rules allow men's golf programs to offer the equivalent of 4.5 scholarships maximum----if the programs are fully funded.

I don't think it can be said that if your goal is scholarship money, that golf is necessarily better than rowing because golf is an NCAA sport and rowing is not. Depends on your ability in the respective sports and the policy at each individual school you are targeting, I think.

EDIT: Understood that the OP is looking at Ivies, this is for others who may be targeting non-Ivies
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    @Muselk
    If rowing at an Ivy is your goal then you need to have your parents use the online calculator for individual schools to estimate your cost as there are no athletic scholarships offered at these schools for rowing. It is need base. Having said that, the ceiling for need is higher than you'd think.
    At 5'7" id say you need to look to Ltwt programs as you are currently too small for a HW program. There certainly have been guys your size on HW college teams, but they are the exception not the rule.
    Good luck and don't forget about grades! They can be just as important as athletic prowess in this equation.
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    @Muselk
    Sorry...just saw you are 8th grader! You probably have a lot more growing to do! To get a sense, you may ask your PCP to chart your growth thus far and ask their opinion.
  • codemachinecodemachine Registered User Posts: 465 Member
    Both can be very time consuming, but around where I live, crew has practice every day, early in the morning, after school, and on weekends. I've known more Ivy League crew students than golfers, but they were recruited, and were "eh" students for the Ivies. Pick a sport that you can balance with school work and even other EC's. A single digit HC is absolutely nothing to sneeze at, and if you can win comps with it, you're an attractive candidate to the Ivies and equivalents! Hope this helps!
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,477 Senior Member
    If you are only looking at getting a boost at an Ivy school (big mistake in my opinion to only look at 8 schools especially 5 years before you know what your grades and size will be), it probably doesn't matter. The crew coach may get 5 or so slots to complete a team, the golf coach 2 to fill a much smaller team.

For non-Ivy, it may seem like golf only having 4.5 scholarships lowers your chances of getting a decent scholarship, but that's actually a lot for a team that may only have 10 members. If each member gets a half scholarship, plus the school offers merit money, that can go a long way toward your COA.
    edited January 2016
    Thanks a lot for your input #twoinanddone, #codemachine, #tonymom, #fenwaypark. Can you please tell me more about the physique required for rowing in college? I am willing to work hard and I am also in one of the best schools for rowing in Canada. I currently go to a very prestigious school in Canada and I am top 5% in my grade. Thanks again.
    I'd say probably more muscular than a swimmer. Most members of our crew team pump iron while they study (pretty much their only time between practice and sleep during the season), and have a decent range in height.

As a member of the golf team, I try to work out as much as possible both for golf and for my own personal well-being. Being muscular isn't a requirement but I have noticed that it has helped my handicap, the shape of my swing, and the precision of my strokes. Just something to think about.
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,420 Senior Member
    Fencing
    How tall do you have to be to row in college? #codemachine. It is nice that somebody does the same sports as me.
    Judging just by my friends, they range from around 5'8 (my height) to 6'3. Our shortest coxswain was like 5'3, I think.

My best advice to you is look at the rosters of the schools you are interested in, if applicable, and see what their heights are. They should be posted.
This discussion has been closed.