Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

University of Chicago Early Decision

HopefulyIvy123HopefulyIvy123 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
I'm currently a high school senior going through the college application process. I've been looking at schools to determine which one I like enough to apply ED and I decided on the University of Chicago. But there are some days that I have doubts about it. While I never doubt the education system nor the campus vibe at UChicago because they are both absolutely phenomenal, my hesitation mainly stems from the pressure I receive from my parents. My parents adore UChicago as well, but they are pushing for the top Ivy League schools, such as HYP. Most days, I am confident about my decision thus far, but there just are days when I overthink it. Is anyone else going through a similar situation? And do you have any advice? I am already stressed out about senior year and this is not helping my case at all.

Replies to: University of Chicago Early Decision

• JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    Why can't you apply to HYP SCEA then apply to UChicago EDII?
  • kaukaunakaukauna Registered User Posts: 1,040 Senior Member
    You could.
  • DunBoyerDunBoyer Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    I never thought I'd say this, but those U.S.News rankings I love to hate might actually be useful here.

Just show your parents that UChicago is tied with Yale and ahead of Stanford/MIT. It's a dumb reason to apply to UChicago, but "Ivy League" (which doesn't include Stanford/MIT, by the way) is a dumb reason not to apply.
  • exacademicexacademic Registered User Posts: 685 Member
    edited September 15
    To answer JBS's question, if Hopeful gets into an HYP SCEA, what are the odds that his or her parents will allow a subsequent ED app to Chicago?