Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

Replies to: Summer visits-where are you headed, any tips?

• GarandmanGarandman Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    My wife and daughter hit the road last summer, visting (W-E) U Oregon and their honors college, U Montana and honors, U Denver, UC Boulder, Colorado College, Syracuse, Cornell, Colgate, Princeton, Lafayette, Williams, and Amherst,

Of those schools she applied to Williams, Colorado College, UMontana, Oregon and Princeton.
  • dadof2ddadof2d Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    Wow! That was quite a trip.
  • HappyNJOOSHappyNJOOS Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    From NJ.... S16 toured some schools last August... VTech and JMU. Both were great tours and schools.

Spring driving tour will be University of South Carolina, University of South Florida and U of Tennessee (with a stop to see our D at her school - University of Florida for Easter).

Others schools already toured:
    - U Delaware
    - Clemson
    - Towson
    - Rutgers
    - Elon
    - U Maryland
    - Penn State

In the summer we will hit up schools that align the most based on his SAT scores.
  • COSpgsparentCOSpgsparent Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    edited February 21
    When we go on trips like this with the kids, I always look for a Whole Foods. There are a lot of lunch and dinner choices there...almost like a buffet...kids can choose from a wide variety of beverages, there's seating for eating, bathrooms, and we never feel sick afterward. Weird tip, but has helped a lot.

P.S. At big schools, after a big presentation, tours are sometimes randomly divided (this side of the room go with Jack, this side go with Jane). Well, if you are assigned to Jack, but you know Jane is studying something that your child is interested in, be a rebel and go with Jane. :)

P.S.S. If your child likes to workout and the workout facilities aren't included in a tour (they often are not), GO TO THE WORKOUT FACILITIES and get a tour. This can be a huge part of your child's daily life and is often left out.
  • tkoparenttkoparent Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Agree with COSpgsparent - don't hesitate to switch tour groups if one of the guides seems a better fit. For example, my kid is an athlete, and if you tour with an athlete guide, you will almost surely get a good look at the workout and sports facilities (as well as the dining halls!).

We live overseas and, because we wanted to visit while schools were in session, we crammed nine schools into our son's two-week Spring break last year - we went from California to Texas to North Carolina to Maine to Colorado. It got the job done but it was tiring, and it would probably be better to do just a few at a time if you are able. All sorts of stupid things can prejudice a child against a school - too little sleep, a bad hotel with a poor breakfast, a bad guide (especially) - so to the extent you can take the stress out of the trip (and pick the right guide), it will help your child gain a clearer view of things.

I especially recommend that you avoid trying to do two schools in one day. Maybe some kids who are highly-motivated about their search could handle that, but not ours. It would have been death to one school or the other, I am pretty sure.
  • IsoinfoIsoinfo Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    In the years my daughters were in the college search mode, whenever we planned a vacation, we always asked: "Is there a school on the vacation route that you would like to see?" and then, if yes, we tried to incorporate it into the vacation. The best one was Colorado College. We were visiting Colorado, and our daughter wanted to look at that school, so we did the morning tour and information session and then drove up Pike's Peak in the afternoon. It's also a nice way to spread out the visits, instead of having to do a week-long college tour that can get tiring. And I agree with @tkoparent parent, that two schools in one day is too much.
  • ImASoccerPlayerImASoccerPlayer Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    We are trying to plan a spring break trip (first week of April 2019) with our high school Junior.

We are from the Bay Area and are thinking of Boston to visit:

BU
    UMass Amherst
    UConn (in same day as UMass?)
    UVM

We will be all 5 of us in Boston and was hoping to stay in a VRBO the entire time to make things easier but that is a super long drive to UVM.

Are roads ok in April? We do not like to drive in snow.
    We Ali want to do some day trips from Boston to maybe Portland or somewhere in MA. My kids have never been to New England.

Any advice appreciated!!
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    @ImASoccerPlayer

Early April can see sunny skies or snowstorms up north (I’m thinking of UVM in particular). I live in northern New England and it is not uncommon to have snow on the roads in April. You will probably be fine for BU, UConn, and UMass Amherst, though.
  • ImASoccerPlayerImASoccerPlayer Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    @JanieWalker
    Thanks for that info.

It would certainly be easier to leave UVM out of this trip - but I really wanted him to see the campus also - so hard to plan these trips!
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker Registered User Posts: 328 Member
    @ImASoccerPlayer I’d plan on visiting if you can. Burlington’s a great place. You might be just fine with the roads - fwiw, they do get plowed quickly up here since we are used to Snowmaggedons.
  • cmattecmatte Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    Wow. Lots of great places.
  • shfloridashflorida Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Are the packaged college visit trips worth it like the one offered by NHSSS?
  • ASKMotherASKMother Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    @shflorida I haven't heard anything about their trip offers but we chose not to buy into the NHSSS or the Who's Who because we heard they weren't really recognized/respected necessarily by colleges. Saved that money for admissions fees! That being said, I loved getting to take her to visit colleges and watch the wheels turn as she thought about her future. It was a fantastic Mother/Daughter bonding time and well worth taking off work to do on our own. We visited 10 schools in 6 days over spring break of her Jr year, had visited a few state schools prior to that trip and visited 2 other schools on breaks.
  • BmacNJBmacNJ Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    D16 is sophomore, we have just started the visits. (not sure if its to early). Looked at Drew University, Fairfield, heading to Fordham, Quinnipiac, Villanova, Marist, Sacred Heart, TCNJ and Monmouth in the coming weeks/months. Hoping to get a feel of what she likes/dislikes and narrow down search for re-visits junior year.