Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Deferred-Add to Letter of Continued Interest LOCI that we will not apply for financial aid?

aimforstarsaimforstars Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Is this a good idea?

Replies to: Deferred-Add to Letter of Continued Interest LOCI that we will not apply for financial aid?

• airway1airway1 Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    edited January 10
    I think you’ve answered that point on the application.. I don’t think it would add value.. my son didn’t mention it on his
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 1,014 Senior Member
    Not really the exact same situation but my nephew was wait-listed at a top 30 LAC. They were willing to take him if he could pay the full price. He couldn't (his EFC was very low) but the admissions counselor made it very clear that he was in if he could.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    edited January 10
    "my nephew was wait-listed at a top 30 LAC. They were willing to take him if he could pay the full price. He couldn't (his EFC was very low) but the admissions counselor made it very clear that he was in if he could."

Out of curiosity, how did that conversation even come up? I'm not doubting it happened, but it seems awkward.

OP, if you already told them you are not applying for aid, then I wouldn't bring it up again. However, if you said you want to be considered for aid and now want to change that, I'd try it, especially if it is a "Need Aware" school that does not promise to meet full need. I don't know if it would help, but I can't imagine it would hurt your chances at all. Perhaps have a guidance counselor pass on the message on your behalf. A GC with a relationship to that school might be able to get further information that can help determine if no-aid helps your chances.
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 692 Member
    I would also mention it, it won't hurt and could help.
  • PetraMCPetraMC Registered User Posts: 486 Member
    Unless it's a change, no.
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 2,010 Senior Member
    This information would only be relevant for need-aware schools. You should check whether or not the school is need-aware and proceed accordingly. If, of course, your family is very wealthy and can make a significant donation on your behalf (like building a building or a funding a new school), then you might be considered to be a development case, which would be worth mentioning.
  • aimforstarsaimforstars Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Good points. Just checked and it is a need-blind school so it does seem repetitive. And no, it is not a change. We do not believe we will demonstrate need so we do not plan to apply for need-based aid. And no, we are not funding buildings or schools either. Thanks for the replies.
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    You could add it in a subtle (?) way in a letter of continued interest. "X school continues to be my top choice. Because I am in the fortunate position of not having financial constraints, I would immediately accept an offer if I were fortunate to receive one." That's not the best wording but something like that might convey what you intend without being icky.
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 1,014 Senior Member
    @Groundwork2022 he received an email that he was on the waiting list and he emailed the admissions counselor for his region to tell her he was still interested and she said there was no financial aid for the waiting list and could he come up with the money (at around $65,000 there was no way as his EFC was very low).
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,449 Senior Member
    Being placed on the waitlist is not the same as being deferred EA.ED.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    @emmsmom1 Thanks for answering my question. That's interesting to hear. I am sorry your nephew couldn't afford to attend. Given how few kids make it off college waitlists, it is saying something positive about his qualifications that, had circumstances been different, he would have been among those lucky few.