right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

Replies to: Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

• warblersrulewarblersrule 10021 replies171 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited May 22
    ^
    Good call, @JHS. I accidentally posted the percentage for Widener (60 Jewish undergrads, 3427 total) when I searched for Swat on Hillel.org.

In any case, my basic point was that many of the top colleges seem to have noticeably larger Jewish communities than others. One could pick other examples such as Rice (5.6%) and Tulane (42.8%).
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3940 replies69 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Vanderbilt at one time had very, very few Jewish students. Then they intentionally worked to increase the percentage of Jewish students.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2002/06/09/vanderbilt-striving-to-recruit-jews/0a2fe14d-1061-4dba-bca6-71c9e6046b78/?utm_term=.4455b0648f49
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55528 replies2894 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 22
    Yes, Vandy did that it increase the jewish population--- IIRC that was in around 2002-3.

**ETA I just checked the article date-- yup- thats when it was!
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share
  • LMK5LMK5 114 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm wondering how colleges allow open protests against Jews and Israel while at the same time regularly preach diversity and inclusion on campus? It seems to me these protests are strictly designed to make Jewish students feel uncomfortable. After all, if they intended for their protests to force change, wouldn't they demonstrate in front of the Israeli Embassy or at least in a place where they are likely to get the attention of the local media?

If colleges allow open protest/ demonstrations against Israel on free-speech grounds, does that also mean that students can demonstrate against African nations as a cover for their views towards African Americans? Can they protest against gays because of their own religious beliefs? Seems hard to believe the universities would allow this.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78229 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 23
    LMK5 wrote:
    If colleges allow open protest/ demonstrations against Israel on free-speech grounds, does that also mean that students can demonstrate against African nations as a cover for their views towards African Americans?

Protesters and speakers who show up at universities to push anti-black views do not beat around the bush using African countries as proxy scapegoats.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/education/2019/05/23/rick-tyler-white-nationalist-university-tennessee-knoxville/1203823001/
    https://www.wlox.com/2019/02/23/students-protest-removal-confederate-statue-ole-miss-campus/
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/college/2017/04/18/white-nationalist-richard-spencer-speaks-at-auburn-amid-high-tensions/37430895/
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/northwest/how-the-shooting-at-the-uw-protest-of-milo-yiannopoulos-unfolded/
    edited May 23
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2152 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    edited May 23
    @LMK5 - As someone who is proudly pro-Israel but also proud of our rights as Americans, I have no problem with colleges allowing students to engage in anti-Israel protests. They should. That is freedom of speech. But colleges should also zealously enforce the right of pro-Israel students to engage in counter-protests and educational efforts and to call out the anti-Semitism in anti-Zionism.

The problem is not that there are students who disagree strongly with Israeli policies and express their disagreement. The problem is that there is an attempt to silence pro-Israel students and delegitimize the identities and views of Jewish students.

Education, dialogue and exchanges of ideas should be encouraged among people with differing viewpoints on campus. Ideally, college campuses are a place for students to learn historical facts, begin to form their opinions, hear contrasting viewpoints that challenge their opinions, and revise their opinions as they hear new facts and new perspectives.

——-
    The other, equally huge problem is the rise of anti-Semitism. This needs to be called out so that students learn to recognize it, the same way they learn to recognize racism.
    edited May 23
    · Reply · Share
    "The problem is that there is an attempt to silence pro-Israel students and delegitimize the identities and views of Jewish students."

@TheGreyKing , can you tell me how the colleges execute this strategy or allow it to happen?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2152 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    @LMK5- Please see the posts and links earlier in this thread, which contain descriptions of some such incidents, such as a pro-Israel club being rejected as a campus organization whereas Students for Justice in Palestine was accepted by the college council.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3940 replies69 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    LMK5 wrote:
    It seems to me these protests are strictly designed to make Jewish students feel uncomfortable. After all, if they intended for their protests to force change, wouldn't they demonstrate in front of the Israeli Embassy

BINGO!
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18401 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 24
    LMK5's point about making Jewish students feel uncomfortable and unwelcome is legitimate and serious. But it's hard to imagine an anti-Israel protest that does not have that effect. Both the government of Israel and most American Jewish supporters of Israel insist on the absolute identity of "Israel" and the Jewish people. That's the base of the argument that anti-Israel sentiment is antisemitic, and emotionally that's why attacks on Israel feel like attacks on Jews.

Furthermore, it's wrong to suggest that if you really wanted to change Israeli policy you would demonstrate at the Israeli embassy (which may, in any event, be a long way from most college campuses). Israel's ability to pursue its current policies is highly dependent on the support and acquiescence of the United States and of American Jews. If Israel lost the support of American Jews, one way or another it would have to revise its policies radically. Unsettling American Jews' support for Israel and/or its government is a pretty legitimate (and achievable) goal for protesters.

Back in the day, there were lots of campus protests against South African apartheid and its bantustan policy. No one much stopped to think whether we were making Afrikaaner students feel unwelcome, There weren't many (and?) Afrikaaner students, as far as I know. I never met any. But I'm sure if they were around they were not rushing to identify themselves, precisely for this reason.
    edited May 24
    · Reply · Share
  • tpike12tpike12 502 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    @TheGreyKing - I agree with you that Jewish students should not be silenced on campus. Unfortunately, Jews in social media companies, entertainment, academia, and main stream media are often leading the charge to silence viewpoints they disagree with. People notice. I’m not sure if that relates to the backlash that you’re seeing.
    · Reply · Share
    JHS wrote:
    LMK5's point about making Jewish students feel uncomfortable and unwelcome is legitimate and serious. But it's hard to imagine an anti-Israel protest that does not have that effect. Both the government of Israel and most American Jewish supporters of Israel insist on the absolute identity of "Israel" and the Jewish people. That's the base of the argument that anti-Israel sentiment is antisemitic, and emotionally that's why attacks on Israel feel like attacks on Jews.

But would a protest specifically against (for example) an Israeli government policy or laws with respect to (for example) the West Bank or minorities in Israel be seen as inherently anti-Jewish? (Granted, it may be difficult for such a protest not to attract the nasty bigots that tend to be attracted to such, but let's suppose such a thing happens without that happening.)
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 24
    tpike12 wrote:
    Unfortunately, Jews in social media companies, entertainment, academia, and main stream media are often leading the charge to silence viewpoints they disagree with. People notice. I’m not sure if that relates to the backlash that you’re seeing.

Seems like exaggerated trumped up fears of minorities among the majority population leading to increased bigotry against minorities.
    edited May 24
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55528 replies2894 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Am guessing this has been shared already, but just in case: https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/americas/1558673557-nyu-graduation-speaker-preaches-radical-love-endorses-bds-against-apartheid-Israel
    A graduating PhD student and writer made headlines this week after endorsing BDS while addressing his New York University class.

Speaking at the convocation ceremony for NYU's Graduate School of Arts and Science, Steven William Thrasher praised the work of NYU student societies that endorsed the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement against Israel
    . The NYU president later apologized. But geez...
    · Reply · Share
    Regarding the common anti-Israel protests at UCI, the engineering school is named for Henry Samueli, a very prominent Jewish philanthropist in the Orange County area. Do the UCI anti-Israel protesters refuse to take classes in a school funded with Jewish, pro-Israel money? I'm guessing not.
    · Reply · Share
  • tpike12tpike12 502 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    @TheGreyKing - I agree with you that Jewish students should not be silenced on campus. Unfortunately, Jews in social media companies, entertainment, academia, and main stream media are often leading the charge to silence viewpoints they disagree with. People notice. I’m not sure if that relates to the backlash that you’re seeing.

Just to clarify, as you can see, I never wrote that Jewish students should expect backlash.

There is certainly a perception that powerful Jewish figures are leading the charge to ban and deplatform people they disagree with and I was simply wondering if that is translating to anti-Jewish sentiment on campus.

Also, it is astounding that politicians are considering legislation making it a crime to protest Israel via the BDS movement. That is flat out anti-American. Perhaps that has some effect as well.
    · Reply · Share