right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Should I tour a school and job shadow before making any school or career path decisions?

TrucksRuleTrucksRule 23 replies16 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
I'm 21 and I've only completed one year at community college. I was unable to do well due to other things going on. I took 2 years off to deal with them and I'm going back this year as an engineering major. I'm considering transferring University at Buffalo as it's an hour away from me. My original GPA in my community college (which I'm going back to) was around 2.1 or 2.5. I know I can do much better this year and plan on retaking failed classes for a higher grade. Should I check out what UB has to offer before deciding to go there? As well as, trying to shadow careers? I'm interested in automotive design or medical technology repair.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I tour a school and job shadow before making any school or career path decisions?

• happymomof1happymomof1 29606 replies173 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For now, you need to get back into your community college, and pull your grades up.

When you have a free day, go visit UB. Attend the information session for transfers, and take the tour. Ask questions about the major you are likely to transfer into. If you like what you see, then apply to UB. If you don't like what you see, or just want to look at some other options, visit some other places.

Yes, you should be looking for internships, job-shadowing, and paying jobs related to your fields of interest. That will help you determine which pathway to pursue.
    · Reply · Share
  • mikemacmikemac 10307 replies150 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    TrucksRule wrote: »
    My original GPA in my community college (which I'm going back to) was around 2.1 or 2.5. I know I can do much better this year and plan on retaking failed classes for a higher grade. Should I check out what UB has to offer before deciding to go there? As well as, trying to shadow careers? I'm interested in automotive design or medical technology repair.
    Yes and yes. Don't buy a car without test driving it. Don't choose a college without doing research to make sure it offers the programs you want and has an environment that doesn't make you hate every day there. Same with careers; you should try to find out as much as you can (reading books about the field, talking to those in it, perhaps shadowing someone at work) before you commit to it.

Be sure to check with UB about their course repeast policy for transfers. The UCs in CA let you repeat any class in which you got a D or lower, but UB says
    Completion of four required core courses (see below) with grades of C– or better and a combined core course grade point average of at least 2.5. Students are permitted to repeat at most one core course one time.
    http://engineering.buffalo.edu/home/academics/undergrad/admissions/transfer.html
    If you failed more than one of their core courses then you may have a problem. But I'm not a UB admission counselor, I strongly suggest contacting them using the link on the page (if the school is an hour drive away you might want to set up an in-person visit, gives you a chance to see the campus too)

· Reply · Share