right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

1148149150151152154»

Replies to: can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

• taloolabtaloolab 178 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    Accepted:

UC Berkeley (attending)
    UCSB (accepted in early february, chancellors reception invitation)
    UCI (got my second choice major)
    UCD
    Menlo College (got a hefty scholarship but the school was REALLY not what I was expecting— I’m a legacy and it was overhyped)
    NDNU
    Occidental (loved the school, but the eventual major I thought I would pursue was unavailable)
    USC (how? no idea)
    Santa Clara University
    George Mason University

Rejected:

Stanford (REA)
    Duke
    UPenn/Wharton
    UCLA (after this, I gave up all hope for cal)
    Georgetown

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): never took
    ACT: 32
    SAT II: 650 Math II, 630 Math I << obviously I didn’t send either one
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    Weighted GPA: 4.3
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): school doesn't rank but I would assume top 10%
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Took IB
    IB (place score in parenthesis): predicted all 6s and 7s (A- & A)
    Senior Year Course Load: IB Lang and Lit, IB Math Studies, IB Geography, IB ESS, World 1 HN (my old school never transferred my credit so I’m taking it at a different high school), Ceramics 2
    Major Awards: none really— UKMT Silver, Trinity College London Theater and Flute distinction awards (near perfect scores)

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): All the basic high school ECs, best buddies, honor societies
    Perhaps my 3 most significant ECs were my job, a new school curriculum and the charity committee— I work in retail and I am the youngest person working a managerial position.. I am corporately recognized and am the top performer in the district.
    As for the charity committee, i rallied up with some kids at my school to raise money for breast cancer as our first project. We ended up raising nearly 15k and donating it to our local charity.
    My old school wouldn’t allow for students to take more than 1 foreign language but there were several students, like myself, who wanted to take 2. I met with the school principle, the school board and presented them with a new curriculum that would allow for students to take 2 foreign languages. Thankfully it all worked out!

Job/Work Experience: Retail
    Volunteer/Community service: 500+ service hours
    Summer Activities: spent my summers being a kid— didn’t do anything
    Essays (8-9): my personal statement was about my struggles being a minority woman

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major and College: Econ/Finance/Mostly undecided
    State (if domestic applicant): VA
    School Type: more than 2,000 public
    Ethnicity:
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, Low Income maybe??

Teacher Recommendation (10): 2 good recs from my favorite teachers
    Counselor Rec (8): good relationship but was probably very generic

Strengths: Strong academics through adversity, my essays, and potentially the ECs? I think my self advocacy and determination shone through in my applications

Weaknesses: Test scores— I thought a 32 was pretty good but for some of the schools I applied to, it was in the lower 25%

General Comments: If you don’t know whether you should apply to a school because it’s too competitive, you should still try, it’s worth it. I never in a million years thought that I would be attending UC Berkeley, and almost didn’t apply because I thought it was a crapshoot. I also never thought I would get accepted to USC! While sure, rejections from top schools is a little disappointing at first, you will learn that everything happens for a reason!
    · Reply · Share
  • lydiialydiia 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Accepted:
    - Drexel University (32K)
    - Illinois Institute of Technology (30K)
    - Rutgers University (0)
    - University of Minnesota (10K)
    - University of Michigan (0)
    - Rutgers University (0)
    - University of Washington (0, Honors)
    - University of Oklahoma (Full Ride, Honors, Attending)
    - University of Connecticut (16K, Honors)
    - Worcester Polytechnic Institute (26K)

Denied:
    - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    - Georgia Institute of Technology
    - Johns Hopkins University

Waitlisted:
    - Tulane University

Objective:
    SAT I: 1420 (760RW, 670M)
    ACT: 35 (36E, 36R, 32M, 34S, 8 Essay)
    SAT II: BioE (700), Lit (790), Math2 (600)
    GPA: 3.95 UW; 4.67 W
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 6%
    AP (place score in parenthesis): WHAP (4), APUSH (4), APLANG (5), AP Bio, APES, AP Seminar
    IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
    Senior Year Course Load: dual enrollment (science & english), AP Bio, AP Stat, TA (blow-off class). Ended weak lol.
    Major Awards: NM Commended Student, NTHS, AP Scholar, HOSA State Finalist, VEX Regional Finalist

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): FIRST Robotics (captain x3 yrs), Academic Team/Quiz Bowl (varsity x4 yrs), HOSA (vp x 2 yrs), Gay-Straight Alliance (founder & chairperson)
    Job/Work Experience: none
    Volunteer/Community service: 60 hrs with local library, 20 hrs with school, 10 hrs with various medical, 20 hrs misc.
    Summer Activities: none
    Essays: fine, but bland
    Teacher Recommendations: 9/10 from science teacher who I worked with in lab research. 4/10 from club sponsor who listed accomplishments already mentioned.
    Counselor Rec: Unsure-- she likes me, but doesn't know me well

Other
    Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major: Biomedical Engineering
    State (if domestic applicant): OK
    Country (if international applicant): Domestic
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity (Hispanic Y/N/not reported): N
    Race(s) (AI/AN, Asian, AA, NH/PI, White, not reported): White
    Income Bracket: Upper middle-class (60-90)
    Hooks/tips (URM, athlete, legacy, 1st gen, etc.): woman in STEM & LGBTQ+

Reflection
    Strengths: High ACT, extracurricular/volunteer involvement, Minority Points
    Weaknesses: Lack of research experience, mediocre essays.
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Great student-- just like everyone else applying to top schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 177 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 178 Junior Member
    @alexandra00, I have been following your posts partly because you applied to most of the schools my daughter did and several others we considered. I am very impressed with your ECs. And yes—I do believe the process is more holistic than many people suspect.

Wishing you the best at Bowdoin!
    · Reply · Share
  • alexandra00alexandra00 242 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    @whidbeyite2002 thank you sooooo much! very excited to be going there in the fall
    · Reply · Share
  • oak2mapleoak2maple 151 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    @Avish11 Looking strong for Amherst! Make sure you explain on your application the reason your grades dropped in tenth grade. HPY is a long shot for even the utmost tippy top candidates, but you have a chance. Depends on what type of student they are looking to fill their class with the year you apply and no one can tell you what that will be.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaviteeCavitee 134 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    My daughter’s (class of 2023) stats:
    No weighted GPA and no class rank - extremely competitive private school
    UW GPA - 3.86 (1 B in Honors Precalc Junior year)
    SAT : taken one time Fall Junior year - 730 EBRW/720Math
    2 APs Junior year (school doesn’t allow AP until Junior and caps # you can take)
    AP English Lang - 5
    AP French - 4
    5 APs Senior year - AP MIcro/Macro, AP Calculus AB, AP Biology, AP English Lit
    Still waiting on scores
    EC - tutoring, volunteering at Lotsa Love, school related service activities
    No sports after Freshman year

Applied:
    Indiana University - Kelley School of Business (EA)
    UNC Chapel Hill (EA)
    University of Georgia (EA)
    Furman University (EA)
    Boston College - Carroll School of Management (EA)
    University of Virginia (EA)
    Emory University (RD)

State of residence - NC
    Gender - Female
    Race - white
    Income - Upper middle class
    Hooks - Legacy at UVA and UNC

Accepted :
    Indiana University - Honors College, Kelley School of Business ($10K Scholarship)
    University of Georgia - ($9k scholarship)
    Furman University - Bell Scholarship ($22K)
    Boston College - Carroll School of Management
    UNC Chapel Hill
    UVa

Denied:
    Emory University

Thoughts:
    Definitely, benefitted from applying early - both for her peace of mind and to alleviate the anxiety from procrastinating. Without a doubt taking an extremely difficult course load and excelling was her biggest strength.
    She has wanted to go to UVa since middle school so the decision wasn’t difficult. The only second thought was CSOM because of the direct admit and it wasn’t that close. We live a mile from UNC campus so she never wanted to stay close to home.

Attending UVA with the intent of going to McIntire
    · Reply · Share
  • apocalypticcapocalypticc 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Accepted: KU (attending full-ride), GTech

Rejected: Princeton, Columbia, Yale, MIT, Caltech, Vanderbilt, Rice, Wellesley

School Type: Public
    Race/Gender: Caucasian
    Prospective Major: Aerospace Engineering
    Unweighted GPA: 4.00
    Weighted GPA: 4.605
    Class rank: 1 out of 496

ACT Scores
    English: 35
    Reading: 35
    Math: 35
    Science: 35

SAT II Scores
    SAT II Math: 780
    SAT II Physics: 680

AP Scores:
    Physics C: 3
    Physics I: 4

IB Scores:
    Mathematics HL: 6
    English A HL: 7
    History of the Americas HL: 6
    Psychology SL: 7
    Cultural and Social Anthropology SL: 6
    Spanish B SL: 6

Long-form Info

Extracurricular Info
    *2 years of NHS as a fundraising committee chair
    *3 years as a team leader for a youth advisory council that delegates money to community nonprofits based on grants
    *3 years varsity scholar bowl (3x district champions)
    *2 years varsity water polo
    *2 years varsity track and field/ girls throws captain

Awards
    *Valedictorian
    *AP Physics Student of the Year (school)
    *Engineering Student of the Year (school)
    *Optimist Club student of the month
    *National Merit Commended Scholar
    *Missouri Seal of Biliteracy in Spanish
    *Missouri Scholars 100 (one of the top 100 graduating seniors in the state)
    *Missouri Scholars Academy (one of the top 330 rising juniors in the state of Missouri)

Recommendations
    *Both teacher recommendations were very positive and I have strong relationships with both as well
    *I used my English/ Anthropology teacher for one and my physics teacher for the other
    *I had a limited relationship with my counselor due to the large class size and general apathy but I’m sure it was adequate

Random Extras
    *I am an extremely strong writer, and had multiple people proofread and provide their thoughts on my essays and they turned out very well
    *I have OCD so I wrote about the struggle that I have faced with myself but also how I am my own role model due to my ability to overcome. It’s cliche but my English teacher thought I took it somewhere new and interesting so I kept it.
    · Reply · Share
  • FirstGenZFirstGenZ 31 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Accepted: San Diego State University (Accepted and Invited to Honors College in December)

Waitlisted: UC Santa Barbara (later accepted in June) (attending)
    UC Davis (later rejected in June)

Denied: UCLA
    Cal Poly SLO
    UC San Diego
    UC Berkeley

Major: Political Science (UCs) or Business (Cal Poly/SDSU)

Academic stats:

UC Unweighted GPA: 3.8
    UC Capped Weighted GPA: 4.04
    UC Fully Weighted GPA: 4.04
    ELC eligibility (Top (9% HS): N/A

Rank, percentile rank, or percentile range (if available):
    Comments about course load (including senior year): AP Human Geo, AP Government, AP Macroeconomics
    SAT (total and sections): 1340 (690, 650)
    ACT (total and sections): 31 (Math: 31, Science: 31, English: 27, Reading: 34)
    SAT Subject Tests (if any): N/A
    AP exams (scores in parentheses): US History (4) US Gov, Macroeconomics, Human Geography
    IB exams (score in parentheses):
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Too specific

Subjective:

For the following, indicate level of recognition or award (e.g. local, state, national, international) and/or leadership roles:
    Extracurriculars: Varsity Football, Baseball, Boy Scouts, NHS, Etc.
    Job/Work Experience: Four different jobs from the beginning of high school
    Volunteer/Community service: Plenty of this between boy scouts and NHS
    Summer Activities:

Essays (topics, details): Talked about ADD, experience as a summer camp counselor, love for history and politics and for my community. I would say 9/10 overall, very good.
    Letters of recommendation:

Demographics

State (if domestic applicant): CA
    Country (if international applicant):
    High school type: Large Public

Race/ethnicity: Caucasian/Hispanic

Applied for need-based financial aid?:
    Pell grant eligible?:
    Maximum Pell grant (FAFSA EFC = $0)?:

Highest level of parent education: Bachelors
    Living with both, one, or no parents?: both

Recommendations:

If you are waitlisted at a school you would really like to go to definitely write an appeal. In general try to participate in major relevant extracurriculars to your major and that are sort of social justice related in general. I felt that the schools I applied to didn't care about my experience playing football despite the fact I spent a very large amount of time on it. I'm also convinced that UCs and CSUs care about test scores much more than advertised. It was a tough and interesting cycle for me, and just remember that it isn't supposed to make sense and you need to be ready for that.
    · Reply · Share