right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Stanford Waitlist Class of 2024

xenn322xenn322 2 replies1 threads New Member
edited 3:47AM in Stanford University
Hello everyone!
I didn't see a waitlist thread and decided to make one.
Please share anything related to the topic! I'd especially like to know how you guys approached the 500 character update and whether you're going to send in anything additional (although Stanford seems to discourage that).
edited 3:47AM
421 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic at
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Stanford Waitlist Class of 2024

• Youngboy2019Youngboy2019 43 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I really hope they use the waitlist a decent amount this year.
    · Reply · Share
  • zlewiszlewis 4 replies0 threads New Member
    I hope they do too. I just talked about a national scholarship/internship I received. I’m not going to send a letter of continued interest because they told us not to.
    · Reply · Share
  • elianaholmeselianaholmes 5 replies1 threads New Member
    edited March 30
    I mostly described extracurricular stuff I've done since I submitted my application. 500 characters isn't a whole lot of space. I'm not going to send anything extra either. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! :)

In the meantime, where are you guys committing / how are you evaluating your other options? I'm torn.
    edited March 30
    · Reply · Share
  • collegechemistrycollegechemistry 76 replies1 threads Junior Member
    500 characters is a very small amount of space when everything has changed in the past few months!

Does anyone know when waitlist decisions typically come out? July 1 seems very late, since we have to figure out housing and course selection and everything else....
    · Reply · Share
  • RichardWright1RichardWright1 32 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Wow so glad someone made this thread! From what I can gather, they usually let you know if you got in off the waitlist by May 10-15.
    · Reply · Share
  • AcuriousgirlAcuriousgirl 29 replies18 threads Junior Member
    Does anyone know the ABSOLUTE last date/time to accept the waitlist offer? If you don't accept by that certain time, is it automatically taken as a denial from you?
    · Reply · Share
    I believe by May 1st. At least that’s what I remember the portal saying. If you do not accept or decline then I would assume they would perceive it as a decline...
    · Reply · Share
  • saarinensaarinen 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 1
    @RichardWright1 Yes. May 1st is what the portal says, but I wonder if that will change because so many schools are pushing their deadlines to June 1. I assume they give you a few days to think it over though, right? That seems only fair to give you a few days to review the finances.

I assume if you get admitted but decide not to enroll (you'd be crazy not to) they'll offer the spot to another person on the waitlist.

@elianaholmes where are you considering enrolling? It's so hard to decide. I originally thought staying close to home (because of coronavirus) was best and transferring next year, but now I'm thinking just go to the best school you can.
    edited April 1
    · Reply · Share
  • elianaholmeselianaholmes 5 replies1 threads New Member
    I'm debating between Northwestern, Berkeley, and Barnard. Berkeley's cheaper and a lot closer to home, but Barnard is in NYC (hard to turn down) and Northwestern's got a great journalism program. I'd definitely go to Stanford if I got off the waitlist, though. How about you?
    · Reply · Share
  • kook2323kook2323 98 replies0 threads Junior Member
    You will hear by May 1st usually so it can even be this month. But I heard some people got it even today but I am not really sure. Just keep looking for your emails and changes in your portals! good luck!
    · Reply · Share
    Wait people are hearing sooner than May 1st??
    · Reply · Share
  • JakeW123JakeW123 53 replies0 threads Junior Member
    People already got off the waitlist at Stanford?? I knew people from Yale and Uchicago did but I didnt hear about Stanford
    · Reply · Share
  • BombowtoBombowto 10 replies1 threads New Member
    I accepted a spot on the waitlist, but I'm thinking about committing to either Amherst or Middlebury College for now. While doing some research online, the first wave of decisions for those on the waitlist usually come the second week of May.

With regards to the 500 character limit, I briefly described the extracurricular activities I participated in before the outbreak. I won't be submitting any additional letters of recommendation, interests letters, or resumes because they discouraged us from doing it.
    · Reply · Share
    I don't think people have heard back already.
    · Reply · Share
    Do certain majors have a higher chance of getting off the waitlist than others? Also how do you guys think corona will impact our chances of getting off?
    · Reply · Share
  • saarinensaarinen 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @JakeW123 I was wondering the same thing. Stanford is my top choice over all other waitlists I'm on, and I'm worried that my major already has enough people that accepted. What is your major?

I think OOS students will be less likely to attend. So if you're OOS I do think you'll have a better chance of getting off the waitlist. Stanford is probably looking for a diverse student body.
    · Reply · Share
    @saarinen I applied as a humanities major.
    · Reply · Share
  • AngelWings606AngelWings606 7 replies1 threads New Member
    I applied as an Architecture major. Does anyone know how we might hear of who has gotten off the waitlist and what their demographics might be for picking people off the waitlist?
    · Reply · Share
    Everybody say your majors, I applied as biology.
    · Reply · Share
    Poly Sci
    · Reply · Share