Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Math: Berkeley or University of Chicago

BerkorUChiBerkorUChi Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited April 2007 in College Search & Selection
Math Major

Berkeley or University of Chicago

Any help would be great, as I have less than 24 hours to decide.
Post edited by BerkorUChi on

Replies to: Math: Berkeley or University of Chicago

• Sheed30Sheed30 Registered User Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    Wow, this is a hard one, but i am thinking Chicago has a far better mathematics prgogram.
  • OneMomOneMom Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    Math at Chicago is pretty theoretical. At Berkeley, they may have an applied math track as well. I'm not sure whether this matters to you, though.
  • amykinsamykins Registered User Posts: 443 Member
    most math majors are theoretical, if you're literally looking at math-math. If you might go into econ or physics, Chicago also has great programs.

If you are pretty hardcore math, though, I'm inclined to think that Chicago might be great for you. I'm a current student there, and I've met a lot of math people, and even talked to students who have turned down MIT for the support and the rigor of Chicago's math department.

Applied math or business math or engineering math might be better served by Berkeley-- don't know for sure.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,523 Senior Member
    Both are very strong in Math. I would recommend you go with fit.
  • BerkorUChiBerkorUChi Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I want to do pure math more theoretical, not really applied. But after I get my PhD I would like to branch out into astrophysics or economics (maybe), if I can afford it after getting into debt.
  • amykinsamykins Registered User Posts: 443 Member
    You say "PhD" which I think is a buzzword for Chicago... but I'm horribly biased.

Would you enjoy Chicago's core?

http://collegeadmissions.uchicago.edu/level2.asp?id=7

If not, go with Berkeley.
  • BerkorUChiBerkorUChi Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Yes, the "core" is what primarily interested me about Chicago. I want to be well rounded and I want to make the least sacrifice in learning other subjects because I have to focus on my major.

Are classes graded on a curve at UChicago(on a side note)?

I'm also worried about being overwhelmed at Chicago as their motto: "where fun comes to die" is kind of intimidating. I would like my college experience to be fun.
This discussion has been closed.