Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

take a term off

UnearthUnearth - Posts: 125 Junior Member
edited August 2005 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
I am in the process of transfering to a new school, I aint got the money to go away, buT I hate my current school. I mean hate really bad. Is it ok to take a term off and then transfer to my accepted transfer school in the spring. I cant afford to go away right now. Plane tickets and evereything else is out of reach.

Can I take a term off and still get pell and Tap and stafford loans for the spring, even thogh i didnt go to school in the fall.
Post edited by Unearth on

Replies to: take a term off

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,501 Senior Member
    Another thing you should consider if you take a term off...if you are currently covered under your parents' health insurance as a college student...you may not be covered at all if you take a term off. Check and see.
  • UnearthUnearth - Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Thnaks for that note, But can I ask how would they know. I just had to send in my bill and shedual for the spring 2005. so wouldent they know im in school.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,501 Senior Member
    Our insurance company asks for verification of enrollment for the FALL term. To be honest, if you are not a student, your insurance may not cover you if you need it. If it were me, I would not try to "gloss over" the fact that you are not a student.
  • smile06smile06 Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    you in a bad financial situation but remember that taking a term off may actually throw you off academically. i have this teacher who preaches about "taking time off" from school for whatever reasons because the habit of learning gets lost. you have valid reasons but keep how it will affect your learning in mind.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,460 Super Moderator
    The school also must report to your lending institution that you are not in school so your loan payments may start to kick in.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    So you are planning to take this fall off and enter spring 2006?
    I think it would be better to take a year off.
    Work and attend at least half time at a community college so that your loan payments don't kick in. This would also give you a chance to bridge the gap between course requirements at your two schools.
  • UnearthUnearth - Posts: 125 Junior Member
    I didnt think there were all these obstacles.

    This kinda sucks.

    I live in bronx, NY. lets say Community college is not the best, probrolly on the same level of Hs.

    Plus i would be the only white person in any of the CC's.

    I dont feel comfortable like that anymore. I spent K-12 being the only white person in any of my classes and Running track,football and wrestling as the only light colored person.

    Not reaciest at all, 98% of my friends are black, Just if ya know what I mean,.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    my daughter just spent a year in a CC
    She is attending Reed college but for academic reasons it was best to take a year off
    Obviously the CC in general is nothing like one of the top academic schools in the country
    However she got a lot out of it she made some friends had some great teachers and although most of her friends from Reed graduated this past spring- she will be returning there as a senior in Aug
    You don't have ties to either of your schools
    You have the obstacle of not wanting to start repayment of your loans
    You need money
    You say that the CC are mostly minority but then you also admit that 98% of your friends are minority
    I think it is a no brainer
    Entering next fall instead of next spring you will meet more people who are also new
    You will have a chance to save some money instead of starting your loan repayment process, losing your health ins coverage etc
    I think it will affect your aid- I haven't heard of many spring entering students getting aid but check with your school

    Obvously you have choices, but it is your choice what to decide
  • UnearthUnearth - Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Isint it late to transfer again. I was planned to Tranfer to another school from my current one.

    The only reason i dont go to my current school, is because my mom wont take the plus loan and I will have to take a 4k alternative loan which i really dont want. there is no perkins loans availible.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,460 Super Moderator
    Even if you change schools within the CUNY system, your financial aid situation is not going to change. Since this is essentially on you, then spend the least amount of money as possible by staying where you are and taking the maximum number of credits. As you already know finishing CC in 2 years (64 credits) is predicated on taking a minimum of 16 credits per semester. Any thing less than 16 cedits means you aren't finishing in 2 years.

    I think you should set a goal to just stick it out and finish at your school. Constant transferring especially within the CUNY system (and you have't atleast completed an AA) will cause you constantly loose credits taking longer for you to finish. It then becomes a long frustrating viscious circle. If you are past the half way point, register and 18 credits in the fall and spring , do well, finish then transfer to a 4 year collge . Depending on how well you do, you can transfer in to a school where you may have better possibilites for getting FA.

    Just because you live in the Bronx, doesn't mean you have to attend CC in the Bronx. If you feel that you must transfer then you may find Borough of Manhattan, Laguardia, Queensborough , Staten Island CC to be more diverse or to your liking.
  • UnearthUnearth - Posts: 125 Junior Member
    I dont go to a Cuny school now, I go to a 4 year school. I have 29 credits now.

    I havent transfered yet, and only wanted to do it once. so transfering my school to a CC then to the other 4 year, its a bit much, like you said.

    BMCC and Queens bouborough, are the same as bronx CC.

    SI CC is to far and its a 2.5 hr trip each way from my house. Its just to much.

    anthing bot in Bronx or manhattan is to far for everyday
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,460 Super Moderator
    Sorry, my bad.

    If you are looking to transfer, wouldn't it be in your best interest to remain in school, take courses do, well, raise your gpa (if you don't already have a 4.0) open more options for teacher recommendations. Since the applications for transfers are not due until early 2006 for academic year 2006-07 your chances for transfer would be better if you were already in school.

    If you took a term off, you would really have to do something meaningful during the gap in your education. Taking a leave term for really no good reason then try to transfer could hurt you.
  • UnearthUnearth - Posts: 125 Junior Member
    No Money, if I had money id already be in my new school.

    I can just defer admission by a term or a year.
  • timelytimely Registered User Posts: 1,613 Senior Member
    Call the admissions dept. of the school you want to transfer to and explain your situation. Ask them about transferring in the spring. They are the only ones who will be able to give you the right info. As far as what you do this semester, here is a quote I heard today:

    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." Marcus Aurelius
  • UnearthUnearth - Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Its just such a situation that i dont know what to do.

    I thoght about going to the Cuny school for a term, but thats still a $70 application fee and I have to take placmeent tests again and then that may screw with my math.

    Lets say My math is not great. But at My current school I got up to calc. With Buffalo I was accepted as a Computer Engineering student. i was thrilled when i got this news because they usually make you wait foir 3rd year to take a major.

    Lets say My class room performance is alot better than test performance. i do very well in classroom, but tests, that are not in class Like SAT and things like That. I am just horrible in.

    With University at Buffalo where I was planning to transfer, I wouldent have to take any placement tests. I pretty much would keep on the same track at my current school.

    so i think the best bet is to stay at my currect schoool, try to work out the money and then transfer in the spring.

    I really didnt want to miss orientation and all that new student stuff,

    But what can ya do,
This discussion has been closed.