Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Time to commit?

Replies to: Time to commit?

• sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,761 Senior Member
    ^excellent summary, stemit. I'll offer one minor correction.
    the LL dates are from October 1 until the school says it ends – the end of their app process.
    Officially October 1 - March 15
  • wilberry228wilberry228 Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    Yes, Stemit, thanks!

I understand the LOI pretty well but that's what I meant by precluded - I guess more morally than legally. So what I understand from this is that it depends on the school/sport/coach. She has three D1 OVs lined up and the ivy coach has called her a couple of times, with promise to call again. I know this coach also calls many, many others, don't know if any OVs are offered or accepted yet. She has been told by the coach that she could get in, but she also had other coaches tell her that and never call again :-) And I do understand that words are just words, especially this early in the process.

Of course, he hasn't even offered her a visit yet and she gave him all her info weeks ago. But we don't know his timeline or anything. We'll see what happens next week. Since she isn't talking to any of the other ivies at this point (one is one of the coaches who called once and asked for everything and didn't call again!) maybe it's going to be a moot point, if she doesn't get the invite for the OV. I would bet that she's one who will get it perhaps if some others decline, but I could be wrong about that too.

I'm sure I'll refer back to this post several more times throughout the coming weeks. I guess at minimum she should find out what the application requirements are at this particular school.

As for financial aid, is it odd to call a financial aid office and ask them what their policies are as far as determining need? I'm sure the ivies go beyond what is defined by FAFSA. At least I hope so!
  • stemitstemit Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    Do not be shy about finding out about financial aid! I believe that need-based aid CANNOT be combined with an athletic scholarship. On the other hand, academic aid can be combined with an athletic scholarship. (Someone please correct me if my recollection is wrong.)

If the athletic scholarship your S/D can get is small (and most scholarships can be small [like "books only" small]) that can leave a huge amount unfunded by the school! (Also, even if the scholarship is large, it is only guaranteed for a year. Some schools have policies about renewals; some don't. Ask the coach and accept nothing less than a clear concise response.)

As for words the coach may say, make sure you really understand the meaning. As an example of my layperson understanding v. coachspeak is the term "full ride." So, a coach who offers a "full ride scholarship" to a player has me thinking about a free education! But, alas, a “full ride” does not mean 100% COA (for all those who have heard parents proudly say their S/D is getting a “full ride”). In coach-speak a “full ride” refers to tuition, fees and books – it does not include room and board. (That is why at some state schools 27 members of the baseball team are getting “full rides” on 11.7 scholarships.)

[In baseball, a D1 school can fund up to 11.7 scholly’s (using a school’s Cost of Attendance [COA] as the amount times 11.7) and slice each like salami down to 25%, subject to a max of 27 players receiving baseball scholly’s. (Some sports are not allowed to slice scholly’s like salami.) So, assume a private school whose COA is 50k (it is always more when you get down to it), 25% still leaves a 38k shortfall. (And I believe that the shortfall cannot be made up by need-based money.) In sports which are allowed to slice scholly’s like a deli, a 100% COA scholly is almost as rare as a unicorn!]

So, while it is a tremendous honor to the athlete to even be offered an athletic scholarship, that offer is merely another fork in the road to choosing a school.

Do not hesitate to insist on answers!

In the IVY's all aid is need based -- but the huge difference with the IVY's when compared with other schools is the amount of aid that a middle class family receives (especially ones who have really studied the ways that the IVY school calculates aid). Now, make no mistake, if you are middle class you still are expected to cutback your lifestyle (and maybe get another job or two) to pay the rest of the bill over the aid the school gives, but for our children . . . :)
    Thanks again stemit!

The ivy formula eludes me. If it comes down to her getting a visit, then we will have to broach the subject. She has no idea which school is for her just yet, this seems to have all happened very quickly although obviously it did not! The problem is that she likes them all, and wants to go to whichever one she just got off the phone with the coach of ... !

Another thing I am wondering about. We pay private school tuition for our other child. Is this ever counted in the financial aid formula?
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    wilberry228: Regarding private school tuition for younger children being considered for financial aid, I have been told that no, it is not a consideration. This is because that younger child could be in a public/non-fee paying school - so private education is a choice that does not affect financial aid one way or another. I had asked this of our GC just out of curiosity as all our children are in private school, along with prep schools that have the same tuition as a top private college - I thought that might possibly be taken into consideration, but apparently, the answer is no. The college is not swayed one way or the other, unless you have multiple children in college. Not the best news - sorry!
    thanks mayhew,

I would have thought that and understand of course that it is a choice to send to a private school; although in our case we felt it was urgent in order to keep our son on the right track, the public middle school was chaotic at best!

I only thought to ask this because once when I was at work, someone had left by the fax machine a form that they had sent to a local college, and it seemed to be a form to request credit for Catholic school tuition paid. I can't remember which school it was. Maybe the Jesuit-run schools do that if it's a Catholic school? Some schools must take it into consideration, I'm just wondering who they are and if they are few and far between??
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    ^^

I am going to hazard a guess that a Jesuit University "may" take into account if you are paying tuition to a Catholic or in particular - Jesuit run private high school....since it would be a "feeder" system so to speak
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    Monster..
    what did you decide to do?
  • monstor344monstor344 Registered User Posts: 2,502 Senior Member
    I decided to pull the trigger and go for it. Made the call to announce my commitment, coaches said congrats and gave me the steps to move onto the likely letter. Alas, even as I was writing this thread and trying to be impartial about it all I simply could not; I really feel like this is the place for me.
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    congratulations monstor344!! How great to have a decision made! Just out of curiousity, will you go on other OVs while you wait for the LL to arrive? Or are you choosing to remove yourself from the OV process?

Again, great news for you!!
  • monstor344monstor344 Registered User Posts: 2,502 Senior Member
    I'm choosing to remove myself from that. I decided that the very slim possibility of me going on my OVs and having a change of heart wasn't worth the lack of closure as well as the possibility of losing my spot. I had already dealt with one of my top choices not being available to me because it had committed all its players at my position (though that was ultimately better for me once it became clear which school was my definite #1); I didn't want to face that sort of mess again.
    monstor that's great news ... best of luck with the process, please send news!
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    monstor, this sounds great! Fingers crossed that the LL comes through quickly!
  • fishymomfishymom Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    Monster, congratulations! Awesome news, now enjoy your senior year!
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    Monstor that is absolutely fantastic! I have a lot of faith in your school that the LL will come. I think you made a wise decision to remove yourself from some of the OVs, as the coaching community is a small one and word can travel fast. You've removed unnecessary risk in that regard. Maybe I'll see you in stands this Spring.
This discussion has been closed.