Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How hard is it to get into BS/DDS program?

liveforitliveforit Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
edited October 2010 in College Admissions
I am ranked 13/495 students
with a 3.9 unweighted and 5.6 out of 6 weighted
Sat score is 2240.
I do clubs
Show leadership in them
and Have a good amount of community service

How hard is it for one to get into a 7 yr accelerated dental program? Hard for me? Or should i be a shoe-in?
Post edited by liveforit on

Replies to: How hard is it to get into BS/DDS program?

• liveforitliveforit Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    buuuuuumpppppppp
    buuuuuuuuuuuuumpppp
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,707 Super Moderator
    You're never a shoe-in. Those programs are competitive - not as competitive as the BS/MD programs (given that there are usually fewer applicants to dental school) but they will still be competitive for admissions. I would also wager that in addition to the normal scores-GPA-ECs combination you need to have something that shows your dedication to doing dentistry. Have you volunteered as a dentist's office (or even in medicine in general)?

I mean, you have as good a chance as any as your GPA is pretty high unweighted, your SAT score is decent (I mean it's really good, but decent for these kinds of programs). You didn't elaborate on your extracurriculars but assuming that they're the kinds of things CC students normally post, go ahead and apply but don't expect to be a shoe-in. Also, you should begin early because combined program deadlines are often earlier than the regular deadlines.
    if i apply to multiple programs, could I at least be sure that I get into one? And if I DOnt get into one, can i just pursue the 8 year route instead?
    so should I still apply to a lot of safteys for different majors/
  • duncanidahoduncanidaho Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    I'd say you have a better than average chance to get into a 7 year program with your stats. If you apply to several schools and don't really care which you are admitted, then your chances should be better than if you just pick one.

If you aren't admitted, then just try the usual 8 year route. if you have enough AP and advance credit you could even try the old fashioned way -- graduate in 3 years while applying to DS.
This discussion has been closed.