Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

what is the most moderate option?

puck01puck01 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited November 2010 in Christian Colleges
I am an athiest who is politically liberal. My parents have only agreed to fund college if I pick a christian one. Their relatively high income makes some financial aid packages impossible. So i am feeling like i need to seriously look at just doing what they want. With this in mind I am looking at some christian colleges but want one that will not be too conservative, have crazy bans on things like certain music or dancing or drinking or generally only be tolerant of right wing Christians. Unfortunately a moderate catholic college is out because my parents are not counting this in their definition of christian. I am a b + student with a SAT score of 1600. I was in a school play 2 years running and volunteer for amnesty international. I also play soccer and am on the swim team.
Post edited by puck01 on

Replies to: what is the most moderate option?

• wildwoodscottwildwoodscott Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    It sounds like you need to have more conversation with your parents. What you are essentially asking us is how you can "fool" your parents into paying for a college that will let you run with your worldview, all the while giving them the impression that they are paying for something that fits their worldview. It seems to me that the better approach would be one of three possibilities: 1) you pay your own way and keep your worldview; 2) they pay your way and you accept that taking their money gives them the right to choose the school; or 3) you and your parents talk your way through to a compromise.

One question: is your 1600 based on the 2400 scale? If you have an 800 verbal and 800 math score, that is a very different thing than a 1600 verbal, math, and writing combined score. It would impact how folks would advise you on schools. Also, a "perfect" score with a B+ average is a bit of red flag to schools that you are underachieving, unless you can show something like messing up your freshman year or some illness or a very, very rigorous school/curriculum.
  • puck01puck01 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I find that assumption a little arrogant. I am not trying to fool anybody into anything. I also assumed that college education of any kind is not about any one "world view" rather being exposed to a variety of ideas. Like the whole point of college is to be exposed to a variety of ideas. This idea that the "world" out side of christianity is so big and bad is the major reason why I just don't get my parents brand of christianity!!! But thank you for confirming every fear I had about christian universities being narrow minded, arrogant and dogmatic.

In answer to your question I got 1600 out of 2400 on the SAT. My b+ average reflects that i am strong in humanities but lousy at science and math. So a college with a good liberal arts program is a good one.
  • moneypmoneyp Registered User Posts: 748 Member
    try looking at jesuit colleges. they are liberal
    I like loyola in New Orleans but it might be a reach school. The problem is that I am having a hard time convincing my parents that a catholic option is a good one. Are there any protestant/ evangelical colleges with a similar vibe to the jesuits?
  • wildwoodscottwildwoodscott Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    There are some evangelical colleges that are politically liberal. However, if you are looking for an evangelical college that is not evangelical or where an atheist would feel at home for four years of education, I think that you are back to having that talk with your parents. Here's how I see it:

1) Your parents want you to attend a college that generally accords with their belief system.

2) You do not want to attend a college with such a belief system.

3) So, you ask this forum if there is a school that has enough of an evangelical identity to satisfy your parents but not enough of one that a politically liberal atheist would feel at home there for four years.

4) I am not aware that such a school exists. In fact, most evangelical schools require some sort of description of one's religious viewpoint on the application.

5) So, you must either pay your own way, or you go to a school that your parents would like, or you have a conversation with Mom and Dad about how and why you would like to go to a school where an atheist would feel at home.

I think that we understand the concept of "worldview" differently. It's not germane to your primary question, so I won't get into it here. If you want to follow up about that, send me a personal message.

I'm sincerely trying to help you. If you don't have that conversation with your parents and you go to a school acceptable to them but not to you because they are paying the way, you will end up being miserable. Your generalization of "Christian universities" by my single post tells me that you would be miserable. I am trying to spare you that. :)
  • csfmapcsfmap Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    Check out TCU.
    TCU? can you give the full name please?
    TCU? can you elaborate please. I will check it out
  • garfieldlikergarfieldliker Registered User Posts: 1,992 Senior Member
    Texas Christian University
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 3,541 Senior Member
    Hmm, liberal isn't the problem as many Christian schools are more liberal. Eastern (PA) comes to mind mainly because I know of an atheist who went there and still enjoyed himself, plus they are more liberal than many Christian schools and your scores would fit in. You would still need to take their Christian courses, but they do not require you believe to be accepted - at least they didn't when this guy went there (a few moons ago, but not eons).

If your scores were higher, I'd also suggest Hope (MI) or St Olaf (MN). You could always try them to see what happens. I don't know their stance on atheists being accepted, but I know both tend toward being more liberal and still protestant. I "think" Azusa Pacific (CA) might be open to non-believers as well (hearsay), but I don't know as much about that school in general as it's on the west coast and I'm more familiar with eastern US options. Eastern Mennonite (VA) comes to mind as more liberal too, but I'm not sure whether they require belief or not.
  • LasMaLasMa Registered User Posts: 10,847 Senior Member
    There are the Quaker colleges, which tend to be extremely tolerant of all belief systems, and politically liberal to boot. However, if your parents think that moderate Catholicism is beyond the pale, then they probably aren't going to swallow something as unfamiliar as Quakerism.

You mentioned in your first post that you're hoping for a school which doesn't ban dancing and certain music -- is this the flavor of Christianity that appeals to your parents? Can you give an example of what they would consider an acceptable school?
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,871 Senior Member
    I think you need to have a talk with your parents. One thing you should tell them is that you feel you have to answer the questions on applications truthfully. That means that any college that requires you to sign a statement of belief is out. For example, if you take a look at Wheaton's application (Wheaton College (Wheaton, IL) - Undergraduate Admissions), you have to write an essay about your Christian faith, and sign a covenant. If you are an atheist, you cannot truthfully apply to Wheaton.
    Actually, this may help you find a school that will satisfy your parents and you--look for one that doesn't have such a requirement.
  • lololulololu Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    Take a look at Eastern Mennonite College in Virginia or Goshen College in Indiana. Your parents would consider it Christian, but it is not a fundamentalist church. Rather it is a peace church. You will find a number of very liberal students and faculty who base their liberalism in the teachings of Christ. It is a giant fallacy to assume that all Christians are conservative, so of the most liberal people in the world are true followers of Christ.
  • playdohloveplaydohlove Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Financial independence an option? I know it's scary, but I feel like it would stink to have to go to a Christian school. Although you might be used to that if you went to a Christian high school. I went to public high school, went to a Christian school for a couple years, hated it, and then transferred! And I went to one that was supposedly open minded...there are "in name only" schools out there though
  • gadadgadad Registered User Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    I think that you're looking for a school that maintains an historic relationship based upon its denominational founding, but that doesn't have denominational oversight of its governance or curriculum. Any school that could be described as "evangelical" would not fit this definition. Duke, which comes from a traditional relationship with the Methodists and Davidson which continues its relationship with the Presbyterians would be highly-selective examples. Of the schools mentioned above, TCU would be a good example and it may be a good target school for you. Others might be Eckerd (FL), College of Wooster (OH), Hendrix (AR), Baldwin-Wallace (OH), Oklahoma City U., and Emory and Henry (VA), but there are many, many more.
This discussion has been closed.