Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Harvard Lightweight women recruiting

Beach4422Beach4422 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited February 2012 in Athletic Recruits
What lightweight women's 2k time is needed to be seriously considered as a recruit at Harvard or Princeton?
Post edited by Beach4422 on

Replies to: Harvard Lightweight women recruiting

• beenthere2beenthere2 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    In the low 7:40s. However, Harvard is doing less well than Princeton in the women's LW, so I'd expect their recruiting standards to be less stringent than Princeton's.
  • hey_palhey_pal Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    sub 7:40

getting more and more competitive
  • elileoelileo Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    D's experience was that Princeton was looking for sub-7:40. Harvard and Stanford, Georgetown too, a bit more generous (although Michiel Bartman, newly at Harvard, interested in v. fast 2k's). But moving a boat in competition, espec. at Nationals (with appropriate academics) will always excite a coach and offset slightly slower than sub-7:40 times....
    Sure, they're all looking for 7:30. Any idea how many true LW high school women go below a 7:40 and also qualify academically for Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Georgetown? Also, many head to Wisconsin.
    About 8? Give or take a couple? Could be way off base. I'm just guessing based on the candidates D met or heard of at this fall's OV's/
    Exactly. Given that each school recruits between 5 and 8 rowers, there's a limited supply of available recruits.
    Yes, absolutely. They're all looking for sub-7:40 (loved your comment about 7:30! D was encouraged to shoot for that by at least one coach), but low 7:40's will do, and even a bit above sometimes, depending on other factors. There are rosters/boats to fill.
  • Beach4422Beach4422 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Would 7:45 with good academics, coming from a prestigious school be competitive?
  • imafanimafan Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    are you a junior?
    Yes, I am a junior.
    Sounds like you're in a pretty good position Beach4422. Shaving a few seconds off your 2k would be to your advantage, but you have the next 7 months (July/early August won't be too late) to do that and many rowers can make strides the spring of junior year. Speaking as a parent of a daughter with good academics from a prestigious school, keep in mind that a 3.8 GPA is what the Ivies are looking for but the more rigorous the school and the lower the 2K erg, the lower the GPA (probably not below 3.7 however). As many CC posters have noted, strive for a minimum 2100 SAT. That too can be a tad lower, depending on your athleticism, but not by much.
    p.s. to the above: I'm not sure about Stanford, which I suspect has more, but Harvard and Princeton coaches this year appeared to have 3 to possibly 5 recruits each through EA, a couple more through RD. We heard this from the coaches, also team members and recent graduates.
  • elcrewelcrew Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    It's unfortunate that the standards are so high for lightweight women :|
    I have a friend who has 1790 SAT and sub 6:45 2k who has a good chance of getting into Harvard for lightweight men. My teammate last year also got into Princeton's open women program with less than a 2000. I was told by the Harvard coach that they are indeed looking for sub 7:40 2k and +2100 SAT but depending on your racing experience, those numbers are slightly flexible.
    Sub 7:40 for lightweight?
  • elcrewelcrew Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    You bet! But I've seen recruits above and below that. Of course you should aim for 7:40 but its not like a cut off time
This discussion has been closed.