right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

Replies to: The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions is out

• sryrstresssryrstress 2532 replies9 threads Senior Member
    ohiobassmom--no worries...essays must now be less than 140 characters!

We will need a signed dr. form for the enlarged print, extended time shouldn't be a problem as long as you didn't recently buy your diagnosis, but be prepared, use of the computer is very very difficult to obtain :( (and after at least 10,000 hours on cc, I haven't figured out why that is so....)

I'm with mstee on this one....I'm so much calmer with kid #3. She's a freshman; we'll see if it lasts :)
    · Reply · Share
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove 6187 replies161 threads Senior Member
    vlines, attending a book signing is a clear signal of demonstrated interest. It might be just the push that's needed to be included in a future The Neurotic Parent blog post or follow-on book....even, dare I say it, merit money (aka free review copy).

Now, if you don't live near one of the signing locations, I'm sure TNP will be understanding of how not all families can afford to fly out for the event. But if you live within an 8 hour drive and you don't show, TNP might look at your attempts to be in the next book with a skeptical eye.
    The attitude really does change by the third, fourth and fifth time around, though.
    I'm so much calmer with kid #3.

:eek: Great, now added to my to-do list is to have a third kid. ;)
    · Reply · Share
  • OhioMom3000OhioMom3000 2045 replies18 threads Senior Member
    "BIRTH - Send APGAR scores to the colleges you will be considering in 17 years."

S2 got 10 and 10. Is this a new hook? ha ha
    · Reply · Share
  • ModadunnModadunn 6178 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Great. I don't stand a chance. There is no way I can qualify for extended time at this late date despite having been granted extra time on just about every Cosmopolitan quiz about how to have great sex at any age. Without some sort of decades old 504 or a WD40 wiggle, I'm toast made from white bread.
    Great, now added to my to-do list is to have a third kid.

Would you like access to my Cosmo collection for inspiration? I'll erase my answers.

And yes, the stress dissipates on the third. BUT.. while not overly invested during the application process (although my youngest didn't let me even see her applications until about a week ago), the waiting for decisions is stressful. Maybe the fourth or fifth is even less so, but honestly I can't imagine I would have lived long enough to find out!
    · Reply · Share
  • kindernykinderny 1381 replies4 threads Senior Member
    ^^^ THIS (all of you) is why I continue to read CC even though my only child is ensconced in college (and hopefully finishing successfully her first year in May).
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56016 replies2917 threads Senior Member
    Sigh. I am so glad (not) that I shared my moment of print/fame in the Neurotic Parents Guide with my son. Its now his status update on his facebook page :o :rolleyes:
    · Reply · Share
    Gotta love social media. Did he mention the book?

And hey....... wait just a cotton picking minute! Are you setting up your kid to get marketing credit in publishing and parlay this into some sort of scholarship worth a full ride AND a car to drive it in? Stepping on MY toes? Why you competitive, little .... Didn't you already get some sort of free book? Why should your kid get credit when he has no intention of even going to the book-signing/test-date/self-worth defining/coffee chat?

Legacy. Totally ticks me off.
    · Reply · Share
    Modadunn- Yes he had mentioned the book-- that was the whole point, but he has deleted it, and the subsequent comments, because it inadvertently sounded part funny, part mocking. Smart child.

And no worries- your scholarship is safe. He's done with school. YIPEE!!!! About to be... off...the...payroll!!!!
    · Reply · Share
    WOW.. serious congratulations! - but not really anywhere near a "child" anymore, is he? :)

But I will say I am slightly relieved. My biggest fear was ending up attending some second tier book signing and having to do the ACT instead!
    because it inadvertently sounded part funny, part mocking.

Ouch.. I think I might resemble this remark.

I've only really held contempt for legacy when there is a refusal to recognize its existence. Otherwise... hey, you play the cards your dealt and accept that some people get to yell Bingo before you do. But don't get bitter because that doesn't guarantee them to be the biggest winner across time.
    · Reply · Share
    Hey wait a minute....maybe he can apply for the scholarship to cover the costs of a honkin' graduation party. Hmmmmm.....

And bingo? Pshaww. The cards he is dealt witll be played in 5 card stud. I am not sure this is a good thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • WordWorldWordWorld 367 replies10 threads Member
    Finally got the book yesterday, it is hilarious and spot-on! I have not had the courage to show S or H where my post is in the book, but I'll share it here, see page 179! Rehab, indeed.
    · Reply · Share
  • OhioMom3000OhioMom3000 2045 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Just ordered one for myself and sent one to a friend. Can't wait to read it!
    · Reply · Share
    WordWorld... pg 179. Hysterical.. but more so in hindsight, I am sure. ;)

I can't imagine anyone on CC NOT reading this book to be honest. It's like the best Saturday Night Live skit in print of all time.

PS... Don't tell your S or H - we'll just consider this the CC version of "The Help" :)
    · Reply · Share
  • lake42kslake42ks 1140 replies31 threads Member
    ^ Now I've read the post on p179 twice, earlier on CC and now in the book.

Anyone now wonders why where you go doesn't matter? No one knows who gets in where in the first place, not even the adcoms, it seems from the book.
    · Reply · Share
  • vlinesvlines 3497 replies82 threads Senior Member
    1/4 way through....SHHH don't give away the ending...do students ACTUALLY get INTO college?? LOL
    · Reply · Share
  • Wildwood11Wildwood11 802 replies29 threads Member
    Will there be a Kindle edition coming out?
    · Reply · Share
  • researching4embresearching4emb 477 replies15 threads Member
    Wildwood, we're in the process of creating an iBook, which should be ready soon. Kindle is much more challenging, because as those who have the book can attest, it's a very "designed" book-- lots of graphics and visual fun. Kindles cannot handle that, although the new color ones can do a degree. Anyway, we're working on it, but it's not easy with a book like this.
    · Reply · Share
    My copy arrived today!! Yay!! Very entertaining read. We cc posters are apparently the source of great levity!
    · Reply · Share
  • hotspurhotspur 6 replies0 threads New Member
    As a neurotic parent hoping my kid will reach the college of his dreams I've been looking for the right guide for some time. I was never too sure about 'Getting Your Kid In To College' (Amazon.com: How to Survive Getting Your Kid Into College: By Hundreds of Happy Parents (9781933512112): Hundreds of Heads, Rachel Korn: Books) mentioned above.

I've purchased a couple recently and found the following valuable though:

1 - Amazon.com: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother (9781594202841): Amy Chua: Books
    2 - How To Get Into Harvard |
    3 - Amazon.com: How They Got into Harvard: 50 Successful Applicants Share 8 Key Strategies for Getting into the College of Your Choice (9780312343750): Staff of the Harvard Crimson: Books

Michele Hernandez book on Admissions is another great one too.
    · Reply · Share
  • frazzled1frazzled1 5559 replies245 threads Senior Member
    hotspur, you may find this thread from last year on Amy Chua's book entertaining: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1064027-battle-hymn-tiger-mother-new-book-about-chinese-parenting.html?highlight=tiger

Not a fan of "Battle Hymn," nor of Michele Hernandez either. I read their books after my kids had already made their college decisions, and realized that I wouldn't have found their information of great value to our family.

I read the Neurotic Parent's Guide and found it quite funny. I think the author was a bit too snarky about CC posters, though, given that she references CC fairly often and obviously obtained some great source material here.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity