Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Bioengineering for Pre Med at University of Maryland

Terps93Terps93 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
edited March 2012 in Pre-Med Topics
I'm thinking about majoring in bioengineering for PreMed at the University of Maryland because it satisfies all of the PreMed requirements, but I've heard that majoring in engineering makes it very hard to get a good GPA(3.5+) simply because of the difficulty of the program, do you think it will be worth it?, or should I just major in biology, thanks.
Post edited by Terps93 on

Replies to: Bioengineering for Pre Med at University of Maryland

• cyborg939cyborg939 Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    bump. I want to know the same thing. Thinking about switching to chemistry or biochemistry (both of which I am very interested in).
  • doctoratedoctorate Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    old thread but bump. i'm fairly sure i am switching from PHNB to bioengineering, but i'm also concerned about the gpa issue.
  • Kdog044Kdog044 Registered User Posts: 1,452 Senior Member
    You should major in a field that interests you as you are more apt to do well in that as opposed to one you take just to meet requirements for premed. Besides, if it doesn't work out, you can get a job in a field you enjoy. ;)
  • swamyswamyswamyswamy Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Simply get a major in Bio since BioEngg is tough to get GPA>3.5. Note that even BIO can be tough to get GPA>3.5. GPA is one of the important components to get into Medical. Only ~ 16,000 get into Medical each year. That means, from each state only ~300students get into med schools.
This discussion has been closed.