right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Which Finance major?

OSUFisherOSUFisher 20 replies8 threads New Member
edited June 2012 in Business Major
Would majoring in something like Finance with a concentration in Corporate Finance or Finance with a concentration in Risk Management Insurance be more beneficial? I like the idea of working in the Risk Management field, but I also like the business aspect of being able to travel and meeting new people. Which field would lead to more opportunities to move up? (i.e.; VP, CEO) Also, what certifications are needed to help my job opportunities. I only know of FRM and PRM for Risk Management, and CFA for finance.
edited June 2012
6 replies
Post edited by OSUFisher on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which Finance major?

• terencterenc 1096 replies32 threads Senior Member
    Fastest way to move up is through investment banking or consulting.

I can't really comment on the concentrations. You should do some internships that will help you decide.
    · Reply · Share
  • OSUFisherOSUFisher 20 replies8 threads New Member
    Thanks for your input. However I am not interested in investment banking. Any other input?
    · Reply · Share
    Bump10 char
    · Reply · Share
    Bump. I'm leaning more towards finance with a concentration in risk management. Can anyone with experience in corporate finance give me some input on the actual field itself?
    · Reply · Share
  • angryelfangryelf 499 replies7 threads- Member
    I don't work in corporate finance, but you're truly over-thinking this. Your concentration just doesn't matter. So long as you've taken the relevant coursework, no one will even care what your concentration is.
    · Reply · Share
  • discoinfernodiscoinferno 279 replies1 threads Junior Member
    It depends. If you're at a school that offers a generic "Business Administration" major and have to choose a specific concentration, then it's night and day.

However, if you're actually majoring in finance then yeah, it doesn't matter. A sub-concentration in risk management is what, 2-3 classes? Maybe I'm wrong.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity