right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Rice Interviews

AnseioAnseio 46 replies17 threads Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Rice University
So I just requested my interview (a little late here I know)
Anyone had an interview yet? How did it go?

Hopefully I will hear back this week even with the holiday
edited November 2012
14 replies
Post edited by Anseio on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Rice Interviews

• runallday4runallday4 597 replies116 threads Member
    I had my interview a little while ago. Mine was on campus, so I did it with a student. If you have it off campus though, it will be an alum. It was really straight forward. There are like 3 categories they are supposed to ask you about. Academics, clubs, and community service. I didn't have any community service and she said that was fine. Also, she told me about her experience here, and I asked questions about things that she did, so that added to the conversation. I don't think it's bad at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • AnseioAnseio 46 replies17 threads Junior Member
    Sounds great. I am doing off-campus so I am just waiting around for an alum to contact me
    · Reply · Share
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay 19622 replies467 threads Senior Member
    Ds did an alum interview and said it was his best by far. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • AnnafcAnnafc 112 replies10 threads Junior Member
    I had my alum interview a while back. It really was more like a conversation that anything else. My interviewer and I really connected, I think.
    · Reply · Share
    Just got in contact hopefully the interview will be sometime after the holiday. I'm a bit confused on what to wear. I think nice-casual? I don't really want to overestimate low-key and show up in business
    · Reply · Share
    I would think that depends on where you meet. My interview was at a frozen yogurt place, so I wore dark jeans and a nice blouse. If your interview was at, say, a law office, you would definitely need to dress nicer. A few months ago, I actually found a slideshow of interview tips on the Rice website. It's worth checking out.
    · Reply · Share
  • aribar94aribar94 63 replies7 threads Junior Member
    I had mine several weeks ago. It was off-campus. My interviewer was very friendly and nice. She seemed to really like that I am familiar with the school. I was glad with how it went.

If I were to give advice to someone going into the interview, I would tell them to be well-researched about Rice and friendly. Rice is a somewhat off-beat school that emphasizes academics. Go in knowing your stuff; don't worry too much about how you look or sound. Just tell them about yourself and ask good questions.

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
    I saw the slideshow! I took your tip about clothing. I had the interview today and it was really casual, we met in a coffee shop so I wore black jeans and a nice blouse/sweater. I'm glad I didn't dress up more because I would have been completely overdressed.
    I think it went well although I blanked on the residential colleges and I think I made a bit of a fool of myself.

It was a fun conversation anyway.
    · Reply · Share
    Yeah, with interviews I always come out feeling like I did wonderfully. Then when I'm driving back I micro-examine every answer, and by the time I'm home I'm convinced it went terribly!
    · Reply · Share
    I completely agree. By the time I got home I convinced myself that I was smiling too much
    · Reply · Share
    Better than smiling too little!
    · Reply · Share
  • AerobugAerobug 699 replies74 threads Member
    I had a good interview...I think.
    · Reply · Share
    You think?
    · Reply · Share
  • freedom2succeedfreedom2succeed 72 replies26 threads Junior Member
    Had an alumni interview a few weeks ago. Mine was really laid back and (at a Starbucks). At first it started out as me talking about my qualifications and academic interests, but then it turned into a conversation about different qualities of Rice, Beer Bike, and why Houston is a great city. Don't sweat it. At first it seems like an interview, but then it turns into an enriching conversation. Also, dress nice, but don't overdo it.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity