Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where to get birthday cake/cookies near Penn

kurzkurz Registered User Posts: 304 Member
edited November 2012 in University of Pennsylvania
Anyone have experience with bakeries that deliver (and are good)in area? Looking for good, basic...chocolate cake or good cookies.
Post edited by kurz on

Replies to: Where to get birthday cake/cookies near Penn

• shellstershellster Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Insomniac cookies. By far the best cookies I've ever had. They are famous for delivering delicious cookies to students staying up late studying.
  • kurzkurz Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Yes that was first thought....for S birthday, I think he gets them at school. Is in a frat, was thinking of sending a batch of something different (he likes Italian cookies) or a cake, but will keep as option, sure look good!
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,992 Senior Member
    Termini Brothers: Shopping Home - Termini Bros. is THE old-line Philly Italian bakery
    http://www.frogcommissary.com/cc.php - This catering company is what's left of a chain of restaurants that started the Philly restaurant revival in the 1980s. Especially famous for carrot cake.
    Night Kitchen - Home -- Great small cake baker; I'm sure they can arrange delivery.
  • kurzkurz Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Great...thanks!
  • WordworkerWordworker Registered User Posts: 869 Member
    Metropolitan Bakery at 40th and Walnut.

The Restaurant School has a pastry shop, so they might do custom orders. I've had good pastries from there.

Green Line Cafe has several locations. They have some cookies that are great, also croissants, muffins, bagels, scones, and candies. They don't bake their own, but they have good taste in vendors. They also have some gluten-free items.

Freshgrocer has store-baked cakes and cookies, as well as cakes from places like Carvel.

Ben and Jerry's will make ice cream cakes

If his tastes are more international, Manakeesh at 45th and Walnut is a Lebanese bakery and cafe with terrific sweets, though I'm not sure about cakes. People there are friendly and helpful. They provide a fair number of my own lunches, since I work half a block away.

The Greek Lady, not surprisingly, has Greek and Middle Eastern desserts. I don't know about custom orders, but they do catering in general.

There are restaurants of almost every cuisine in the neighborhood. If he has another favorite, you might call to inquire. (Best info source is a community guide called Close at Hand, which came out at the beginning of the year. You just need to Google it. Full disclosure: I did the work for it.)
This discussion has been closed.