Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What schools did you turn down for Cal Poly?

Replies to: What schools did you turn down for Cal Poly?

• kschallkschall Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    What school did your son end up choosing? I have a large family, and their choices for college have all been different so far. I enjoy learning why a particular school ends up being the perfect fit for each kid (and all of their friends)!
  • CADREAMINCADREAMIN Registered User Posts: 5,000 Senior Member
    oops no time to finish this so will start over later - sorry!
  • FremontCAFremontCA Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    As a transfer student. I turn down UCB, UCLA, UCSD for Cal Poly. :) All of my friends were shocked when they heard that I chose Cal Poly over UCB. Oh well I am happy with my choice :)
  • wayoldwayold Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Just to let you know my son did not apply to UC Berkeley even tho he may have been amitted.The same with UCLA ,USC.He felt Cal Poly fit him better.
  • thelazydaisythelazydaisy Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    I recently got accepted off the waitlist from UC Davis, but I'm still leaning towards Cal Poly because of their Business school, campus vibe, smaller student body, etc.
    Still not sure yet! This was a surprise, but I'll probably end up turning down UCD for Cal Poly
  • blueskies2dayblueskies2day Registered User Posts: 972 Member
    wayold, the thread is asking where you got admitted and turned down. Not getting into a school that you didn't apply to could be a very long thread, and pretty irrelevant to providing good justification for one or the other. :) And no one can count on getting into UCB or UCLA, certainly easier to get into CP, although still difficult.
  • wayoldwayold Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    blueskies2day-just to let you know I started this thread.So I am aware of the topic.I was addressing the post from FremontCA. so that they might feel better about thier decision because it appeared there was some lingering concerns.As far as UCLA goes I saw no problem for my son to be admitted there.
  • SLOHappySLOHappy Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Aerospace Engineering transfer student - turned down UCSB, UCI, Cal Poly Pomona for SLO.
  • CsequestCsequest Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    These all seem like great reasons!
  • 2Leashes2Leashes Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    My daughter turned down USC, UC Davis, University of Indiana-Bloomington and other safeties.
  • PolychickPolychick Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My daughter majoring in CS turned down Cornell, Johns Hopkins, UIUC, USC, Rutgers, Drexel, CO School of Mines and Arizona State. She liked the learn by doing philosophy, top engineering schools for schools without PhD, beautiful weather/beaches/campus, affordable at $20k out of state, and within a days drive from home.
  • nytocalpolynytocalpoly Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    My daughter turned down UVA and several safety schools to attend CalPoly. She wants to study Engineering and the school was a much better fit.
  • RelsekRelsek Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm a 5th year ME student about to graduate in December and couldn't be happier about my choice of schools. The campus is nice, great lab facilities, an awesome town, comfortable weather, and more. I got into all schools I applied for other than Stanford but turned down UCIrvine, UCDavis, UCSanta Barbara (Honors Scholarship), and UCBerkeley. I know UCB is considered prestigious, but the hands-on style of learning appealed to me much more than the heavy theory styles of the UCs. Berkeley's acceptance letter was also very presumptuous, acting as if they knew I'd accept them.
  • Sweeper23Sweeper23 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi jdask8er,
    I know it's been quite a few years, but I'm currently trying to decide between several of the schools you listed. I'm wondering - what made you choose Cal Poly, and are you happy with that choice? I would really appreciate any insight you can offer!
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,346 Senior Member
    @Sweeper23, rather that digging up a long dead thread, you're better off trying to directly PM them. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.