Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schools like Emory?

13»

Replies to: Schools like Emory?

• aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    Bernie, that last sentence is dead on.
    Less handholding and babying. And more nutup or **** is what we need here in the math department.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,327 Senior Member
    Yeah, I was shocked when I took 111 here. It was really sad (it covered less material than my honors course and we also worked easier problems). 112 was better, I took it during summer and ended up getting a decent grad. student. He made the class more proofs based, so we really needed to understand stuff. However, that experience in 112 is likely an exception (I had my friend's old exams as he took someone in the spring. My exams were significantly more difficult). Out of the like 10-15 sections they have during the semester, maybe only 3-4 will teach at that level.
  • birdy01birdy01 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Lots of people consider Wash U as another viable option. GW is also pretty similar, in my opinion.
  • aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    If anyone still reads this, some correction to what I said earlier...

Business major + CS major = good idea. But it takes planning to get the requirements.
    No idea why I said CS minor + business major.

Consultants have decent exit opportunities (generally you can get hired by a client), so that;s what they do 3 years down the road. The better the consulting company, the better it is for your exit opps (since better companies have better clients). I still recommend technical in addition to business.

Deloitte is now an elite consulting destination. It has shot up in the last 3-5 years. A top 10 for sure. Even top 5 depending on teh market niche.

I dont understand why there is no edit function for posts older than 20 minutes.
  • mamabamamamabama Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Keely613:
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Notre Dame...very similar to Emory and both have highly ranked undergraduate business majors. Good luck - They are both excellent choices.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,327 Senior Member
    ND's sports scene and general atmosphere seems more like Duke and Vandy in my opinion (although religious affiliation plays a larger part in social life). The business program is excellent though. In that respect, they are similar.
  • theatregeek234theatregeek234 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    Please for the love of all things cute and cuddly add schools to your list because they are "like" Emory... I will tell you this now there is no school like Emory. There are schools similar to Emory academically, or the Emory community. But the reason Emory is Emory is because of the unique culture. Most of the top 20 schools have a unique culture which is not "like" any other school!!!!
  • theatregeek234theatregeek234 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO emory is nothing like Vandy... I am sorry that is a felony to say. Vanderbilt has a SEC football team and fosters a community more similar to a large state school. I would say a closer match to Emory culture would be Wash U or U Penn. UVA and UPENN are great b-schools.
13»
This discussion has been closed.